338 Xtreme?????

North90Bucks

Have any of you guys heard of the 338 Xtreme? I'm in Pennsylvania and I saw one today they are made by Xtreme Machine in Grass Flats. PA. It's based on a 505 case looks pretty impresive. I've been thinking about some kind of long range 338. Wondered if any of you PA guys have tried this one.

Tim

The 338 Extreme that I had heard of is a 408 CheyTac necked down to 338 (OOPS its actually based on the 505 gibbs), with most of the body taper taken out and the shoulder at a variety of positions but generally in somewhere between 35 and 40 degrees.

In PA, I suspect two of the guys to talk to would be Bruce Baer (Calls his the 338 Big Baer I believe) Another guy to chat with from this board is Joel Russo, a font of knowledge and also shoot Bruce's 338 Big Baer into tiny little groups.

JeffVN

Last edited:
If you put the 338 Extreme and Bruce Baers Big Baer side by side they are virtually identical. Extreme is using Bertram brass made for them and runs about $4-6 a case if I remember right.

I saw one tested at a mile match in Ohio at the Nationals and they quit after about 10-15 shots and two shooters. Had about 5-8 ft of vertical at one mile with the factory cartridges.

With the price they want for the Extreme, you can get Bruce to build you a Big Baer and have a scope too. He is building one for me. He also makes the dies for the Big Bear.

Happen to know that within 30 days he will have an "extra" Stiller 408 action in the shop. He ordered 4 and 3 were taken as of this week.

Joel Russo just happens to make an A5 stock that is dimensioned for a 408 size action also. His stocks and work is second to none too.

BH

I saw one of these 338 Xtreme rifles as it passed through a local gun shop up here in route to the purchaser. It looked like a decent rifle but my impression was the cost was on the high side based on what I saw. I would have to agree with BountyHunter - I would go the custom rifle route if I wanted to own a rifle in this cartridge/caliber. I think you'd get more value for your money with a custom rifle, and then just reload your own ammo.

The .338 Xtreme is not based off the .408 case. Don't get it confused with the different improved variations of the .338-.408's such as the .338 Big Baer, the .338 Allen Mag, and the .338 Snipe Tac, just to name a few.
BH is right about the .338 Xtreme we tested at the nationals in Ohio. I was less than impressed to say the least.
Simply put, the .338 Xtreme lacks the horsepower of the .338-.408 based cases.

Tim~If you are wanting to build a long range .338, then you may want to strongly consider one based on the .408 case.

+1 on what Bountyhunter said.
Bruce Baer is building me one , and Joel Russo is doing the stock. Can't wait to shoot that badboy.
Bountyhunter, which action is your Big Baer being built on?

I was curious as to what it was. I was at Bob's Army Navy in Clearfield today and they had one on the shelf. I have been thinking about the 338 Edge. I have a 300 RUM I could use to get started.

Joel I was going to call you the other day and got busy. As soon as I get down your way I would like to stop by.

Tim,

I was through Northern Clearfield, Dubois, and St Marys today and stopped in Bob's, Greiss's, the other gun shop just down the road, and a few more in St Mary's and Dubois.
If I had your number, I would have called you.
We'll have to talk.

I worked with Bob at Extreme Machine on one project. He is a nice guy but will not work with him again. Because of that work, he let me in on the specs of his 338 Extreme long before it was released. Personally, it offered nothing that many of us were not already doing, just being packaged under a new name and this time was said to use a special beefed up 505 Gibbs designed case made from a special brass maker to their exacting demands.....

That was the story I got.

When I asked why he was getting such low performance levels for a 265 gr solid bullet design, roughly 3200 fps, he said it was because that is where they shot the absolute best and that there would be an added advantage of longer barrel life. I was told this entire project was a ground level new design for sure accuracy and precision........

I told him we were seeing 1/2 moa accuracy at 3400 fps with the 300 gr SMK and at that velocity, it kicked the hell out of his slightly higher BC bullet at 3200 fps.....

Then, a press release was mistakenly sent to my e-mail address. It told basically all the information that you have been given about the brass maker. I also heard and read about the test results with the Xtreme and to be honest, I was a bit surpised it did not shoot better. I personally believe it was simply a problem with poor bullet design more then anything else, as we have been shooting the 300 gr SMK at 3200-3300 fps for years out of the 30-32" barrel lengths and getting amazing accuracy results.

In my opinion, go with the 408 based wildcats. Bruce is in your area and will serve you as well as anyone in building you a 408. I talked with him several times when I was designing my personal wildcat and he was very helpful and willing to help as I have always found him to be.

Joel is also a wealth of knowledge in this area as well so you will be well taken care of in your area.

Just stay away from the Extreme.... Just my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.