338 wsm???

wildchild

Anyone tried this? I am wondering about velocities with 300grnrs I figure it wont be fast but should extremely efficiant simmiliar to a 6mm BR. like mabe 2600-2650. Any simulator programs that would give us an idea.? Any thought or input would be great. Thanks

Brainchild,
there are a number of us shooting the 338WSM here. There are a number of us shooting this cartridge with 250 grain bullets out of our handguns at 2650fps.
I am shooting an improve 338 WSM called the Stretch. I won't ever be putting a 300gr bullet through it as it serves no purpose for any of my hunting applications. All other bullets up to 250grain should duplicate anything the 338 Win Mag does however.

Neal

I think you will struggle with 300gn bullets in the 300wsm case! The 300wsm case is all about efficency with 180's or less. 200's at a pinch.
These big pills needs lots of slow burning powder and you dont have that capacity in the 300wsm case.. 69gn is already compresses with 180gns.

Better have look at the 338 Norma for an efficient design. Just do a quick search here. Or just buy a .325wsm in my opinion. The big W went for the 8mm or 323 diam instead of the .338 for a good reason as they had a tough time getting .338 win mag performance. No hope with the 300gn or even 250gn pill IMO.

If you want to shoot 300gn bullets I think you will need a lot bigger case. gun)

I could be wrong but I have played with enough wsms to realise were their efficiency lies. They are efficent and accurate and use less powder to a point!

I think the 338 WSM would be a little short on velocity but a 330 Dakota would pust a 300g bullet in the 2600 fps range. I have one in a 18" barrel and mostly shoot the 220 accubond bullet at 2880 fps but have shot some 300g bullets here is a pic of my oehler and the 330 dakota

DSC00763-1.jpg

That 330 Dakota looks good... Its a shame we have no way of getting Dakota brass here easily.

A short efficent accurate compact .338 , The 250's would be a good option I think.

Is that on a Dakota actioned rifle ? Be perfect luging around the hills..

Last edited:
Anyone tried this? I am wondering about velocities with 300grnrs I figure it wont be fast but should extremely efficiant simmiliar to a 6mm BR. like mabe 2600-2650. Any simulator programs that would give us an idea.? Any thought or input would be great. Thanks

No problem with the cartridge. But do you have a rilfle with a magazine and chamber long enough to give a proper seating depth with the long 300 grain bullets? Cartridge OAL and barrel length both affect muzzle velocities.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.