338 wsm

The 338 WSM would be a good performer but that fat case doesn't fit between all feed rails. The RCM has passed the feed rails of every rifle I have tried.

To further pump up J E Custom's opinion:

I own two RCMs:

A SA on a tang safety Ruger with 22" barrel. I had my gunsmith lengthen the mag box to 3.1" ( I was jealous of one friend's NULA) I chose the 225 accubond with 61 grs of RL-17 and am getting 2750 with a 22" barrel weight 7 1/4 lbs. It has killed two cow elk to date with authority.

The other RCM is a LA with the RCM long throated to shoot the 300 gr Berger. Barrel is 30" long and the rifle is 14 lbs. I am getting 2550 fps with 56.5 gr of RL-17. It is lots of fun to shoot as the recoil is moderate with great accuracy. My coues wt was shot with it this year. Very little meat damage but very lethal on that tiny deer @ 400 yds.

I like this cartridge. FYI the 7 SAUM when set side by side with the 338 RCM appears to be almost identical in size and shape.

I think the idea of feeding issues is to consider. I like the route that is most reliable to feed, best brass and loading long bullets in a short action. What wins with this in mind? Please chime in, especially if you've done some gunsmithing. Gun and case design are important. It reminds me not to try and put a square in a round hole. I'm wondering if dropping down to a 250 grain 338 call bullet gets the job done as well as a 300 grain and driving it a little faster. Why really use a 300 grain in a short action? It seems that driving a bullet in the 2900-3100 range, no less/more is most efficient.

I'm going to have one put together by hunting season hopefully, I plan for a couple months takes me a year but we'll see. My current plan is a Rem 700 long action since I have it, Wyatts CFE-13 center feed mag box, open up the rails, #5 contour barrel 26-28 in, set up to shoot a 250 Berger with a custom reamer. Should make a wonderful timber to mid range elk rifle for where I hunt and a nice complement to a large ELR rifle in 338 shooting the 300gr Berger, I think I'm kinda on a 338 kick right now :D

I think the idea of feeding issues is to consider. I like the route that is most reliable to feed, best brass and loading long bullets in a short action. What wins with this in mind? Please chime in, especially if you've done some gunsmithing. Gun and case design are important. It reminds me not to try and put a square in a round hole. I'm wondering if dropping down to a 250 grain 338 call bullet gets the job done as well as a 300 grain and driving it a little faster. Why really use a 300 grain in a short action? It seems that driving a bullet in the 2900-3100 range, no less/more is most efficient.

This is just my opinion so take it for what it,s worth.

First of all, some bullet weights just don,t belong with some cases.

I love the 338s and think that the 300 grain bullets need a large case with at least 115 grain capacity.
yes you can use them in a smaller case but to realy reach the true potential of the 300 grain,I feel
2800 ft/sec is a minimum velocity. If a cartrige won,t do that then a lighter bullet is better.

If I were to build a rifle exclusively for the 300 grain bullets it would be something with a case capacity
of the 338/378 or better yet the 338 Excalibur with over 130 grains of powder capacity.

I have designed a 338 with a case capacity of 114 to 119 grains (Depending on the powder choice)
and have plans to test using the 300 grain but will ultimately use something in the 250 grain weight.

I have a 338 rum and the ideal bullet (For trajectory and downrange energy)for it is the 225 to 250
grain bullets.

With the 338 RCM I have found that 200 to 225 grain bullets have the best overall performance
and with the case capacity and intended use plus the rifle weight(Around 7 pounds dressed out)
it is very manageable and accurate (Less than 1/4 MOA).

To chose the best bullet for a rifle cartrige I recomend doing the ballistics for that cartriges potential
And comparing the trajectory,energy and distance that it drops out of the recomended energy
for the game to be hunted and you will see the bullet that gives you the best total performance.

There is no question that for long range you need good BCs but there is more to it than just good
BCs and in many cases "Less is More".

All of my loads are less than the absolutely Maximum and if I need more bullet or velocity I just
use a larger case with slower powder and in some cases a longer barrel.

I am comfortable using my 338 rum out to 1100 yards on Elk because it meets all of my
requirements with a 250 grain bullet. To shoot beyond that is the reason I designed the 338
supper with 15+ grains more case capacity. and if it will move the big 300 grain bullets at
or above 3000 ft/sec then I will have a winner. If not, I will be happy to drop back to a 250 to
275 grain bullet.

As I said this is just my opinion on bullet selection and weight.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.