.338 WSM loads

CFG

I just built a .338 WSM on a Montana action , Half Moon cut rifled barrel 1-9 twist finished at 24.5"
Reamer built by Henriksen , the cases I sent to have the reamer built on used the lighter .338 bullets
160 gr to 185 gr , now working up loads , new to this site , much better than other sites I've looked at,
Anyway if anyone has worked with the 338 WSM I'd look forward to seeing it , Thanks

Last edited:
Sounds like a nice rifle you have there! I will admit that I havent yet seen nor shot a 338 WSM. I am however a big fan of the 300 WSM and recently came across a 325 WSM.
I was wondering why the choise to go 338 over the 325. I understand there are some obvious differences but i was curious if you happend on some ballistic data that steered you towards the 338? I am certainly not questioning your choice in builds just curious and want to learn some more. Like I said I am a big WSM fan and think the 300 is the "cats pajamas!"
Keep us posted on any further updates!
thanks
Matt

the 338 has a lot better bullet selection... My dad has one but its in a 18" barreled pistol, so I dont know how useful the load data would be.

This project started 3 years ago ,, took that long to get the reamer ,,, I built a .300 WSM and WOW
What could I do ??? I've been shooting the 06 AI for over 20 years and the 6.5 X 284 and have built several rifles in those Cals. One post was right bullet selection , and a big .338 win mag fan . IM a south paw
one reason the Montana Action , also the mag box is .220 longer , The 338 WSM was, built to shoot the
lighter bullets only , the thinking behind it anyway ! Their is a good chance IM splitting hairs between the
the .300 and the .338 WSM ,, I'll be working on lots of loads and will post findings ,,, but most of all like
most of the rifles I build TOYS , I hunt with a different rifle most every year , might be the same cal
I also when building the .338 WSM , I had the parts to build a .300 Win Mag benchmark barrel finished
at 30" ,, lot of shooting the next couple of months ,,,,

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.