.338 WM or 338-06AI delimma!

Scott S

I want a .338 caliber rifle to round out my guns and take care of pretty much anything, except a maybe grizz, when and if I ever make it to Alaska or Canada. I have a Win Mod 70 FW .270 (a tack driver), Interarms Mk X .308 (tack driver with mannlichter stock), and a Win Mod 70 FW 30-06.

I am 99.9% sure that I am going to buy a Savage 116 FHSS Weather Warrior. I really don't want to buy a .338 Win Mag due to recoil and I am not sure I would use it to its fullest capabilities where I hunt 95% of the time (in Alabama).

Is this a good or bad idea: I want to buy the Savage 116 FHSS in 30-06 and have it rebarreled to the .338-06AI. That way I get to keep my Win Mod 70 30-06, which I really want to do, and also have the .338 cal option with the Savage and be able to use my extra 30-06 brass in the .338-06 AI. I also don't want to deal with belted mag cases of the .338 WM.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Opinions? Yes, I am looking for someone to convince me I am making the right choice by starting with another 30-06 for my .338 caliber.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Going with the 338-06 AI good idea easy to change barrels
only thing is getting ammo when you forgot yours.

I would certainly go with the 338-06Ai over a 338 win mag unless I was plannign to shoot the realy heavy bullets way out then I still woulden't use a 338 win mag.

The 06 case gains alot from Ackley improving it realy helps with case streching adds just enough powder to take advantage of the action length without being to over bored.

The 338-06 Ai in a 24" barrel will make a great hunting rifle , the gain from a longer barrel would be minimal , recoil is recoil , if you launch a 200 grain bullet at 2500fps out of a 7lb gun its gonna kick weather its from a 06 case or a RUM case ,the muzzle blast will be differant though.

Thanks, fellas!

I believe that having the .338-06 AI would allow me to shoot the 210, 225, and 250 gr bullets with very good velocity and energy at the maximum range I would feel comfortable shooting (about 350-400 yds).

Any other comments, pro or con, to what I am planning to do?

The .338 win mag should be better in terms of ballistics, better in terms of efficiency (powder burn in a more squat powder column), and with regards to availability of ammo..well everywhere....hands down better in term is simplistics.

338-06, ballistically not quite there, fireforming brass is a pain, and over the counter availibility of factory brass or ammo is nil.

No brainer for me....338 win mag, no question.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts