338 WM best loads

I have made several 450+ yard shots on moose with no problem.
Probably my favorite round here in Alaska

But I still like a carry often a 300 weatherby and 300 Winchester

Last edited:
The 338 win is the only rifle I used for many years and I still love taking it out. Shot a beautiful brown bear with it 4 years ago. But my 300 rum has become old faithful for the last 5 or 6 years. Just got my 375 rum up and running so ill see how she does.

I have made several 450+ yard shots on moose with no problem.
Probably my favorite round here in Alaska

But I still like a carry often a 300 weatherby and 300 Winchester

Well for myself here in Montana with the elk deer and bear I hunt I have never had a problem with the 300 rum with dropping them at all ranges and different body shots. I have never own a 340 for a simple fact that there is no need for it with a the rums and the 338 lapua.

I also use my turrets when shooting long range anything.. Holding over and slinging lead is not my way...

And if yor going to compare apples to apples lets go 180 - 225 gr bullets not 180 - 300 gr bullets...

600 yards
340 wby: 225 gr bullet
300 rum: 180 gr bullet

Velocity:
340 wby- 1782fps
300 rum- 2285fps

Ft.lb. energy:
340 wby- 1587ft.lb
300 rum- 2088ft.lb

There's no argument about wind with your 180-300 gr comment but at a difference of 2moa if you are using your turrets there shouldn't be any problem..

It maybe a great caliber but I'll take it you've never owned any of the ultra mags...

Well then it might surprise you that I own every Ultra mag (but the seven).
The 375Rum is a personal favorite and is in a rifle that that will go with me to my grave.
I also own a 416/375Rum (an amazing rifle), a 458/375Rum (scares me some but is a great African trainer), and two 338Edge rifles (One 8.5 pound and one 16 pounder). The 16 pound rifle is on its second tube.

I have no problem with horsepower or overbore cartridges and shot 2 barrels out of my 300UM before I stripped the rifle for my 416Rum project.

The OP asked about the 338Win and 340Wby...Then a little later about the 338Rum/338Edge.
We also had a quick discussion about recoil and I suggested the 340 to be a better selection in a LIGHT rifle yet still offering maximum horsepower.

Somebody cut in and suggested the 340Wby would be a "poor choice"?
He suggested a 300RUM with 180 grain bullets over a 340....Apples and bananas...So I threw back apples and bannanas in the form of the 300grs...not very fair, but neither is comparing the 340 to a case some 30 grains larger.....Apples to apples would be the 338Edge!

Now the same dude would rave over a 338Lapua wouldn't he?
I own 2 heavy rifles based on the 338 Lapua. One regular one Improved. I have shot the 338Lapua since it came out in the late 80s. My first rifle 338L rifle was a 995 Sako TRG-S (23 inch barrel btw). Back in the 80's it was not that much faster than the 340...And guess what? It still is not much faster.
Maybe (big maybe here) 150fps.

So let me ask you this.
If you take 150fps off a cartridge that has taken some of the longest shots in history does it become a bad choice for a long range hunting rifle?

I have no problem with the 300Rum...Although I find it somewhat cranky compared to the 300Win I like it. Make a logical case for and introduce the 300Rum, but don't be so naive as to call the 340Wby a poor choice (the other guy). I said it before and I will repeat it again, the 300Rum is a good option for the lower 48...200-230 grain bullets preferably.

Let me add one more thing.
Up here the 338Win is as common as a .22...Everybody has one...For good reason..it works!
As good as the 338W is the 340Wby is even more flexible and even better suited to Long Range Hunting. What greater complement can be paid? Readily fits and feeds into any magnum boltface Rem 700 too!

In a light rifle (8.5 pound complete) the 338Rum/Edge/Lapua recoil is much more than most shooters can realistically cope with.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.