338 WM and 30-06

IdahoJoe

I have a 338 WM ruger 77 MK II and a rem 700 30-06 and was just wondering how many people are using these bullet lobing calibers?

YES!

P2210382.jpg

Ruger M77 MKII in .338 WM

P8170190A.jpg

Remington 1903 in .30-06

I do not have a 338 WM, but I have had a 30-06 for a really long time. My 30-06 is a Ruger #1B with a fixed 4x Leupold Scope. It is on terrific rifle and cartridge. I shoot 165 gr. Partitions or Accubonds and love them. You cannot do any better than a 30-06!
David:cool:

30-06 has more gas than the .308 Winny, and im thinkin the .308 has more lead down range at long range than any other round out there.

The .338 win is just as capable of LR as the .300 win, little more drop but more energy to 700 yards depending on what bullet. I've shot to 500 yards with the 45-70 and let me tell you, theres alot more lob on that puppy than the .338 win. I built a really nice hunting wieght .338 win for my brother and its great.

so to answer your question, yes there are better things out there. but YES both the 06 and the .338 win are capable or LR.

Don't have an 06 but do have a Savage Model 116 in 338 Win Mag it's the Bear Hunter came with adjustable muzzle break. My friend and I shoot long range right now we are getting set up to shoot a mile plus.

Soldiers have been very successfully using 30-06 to lob bullets 1,000yds with peep sights for over a century

It's arguably one of the most popular rifle cartridges ever.

Yup 30-06. Shoot it as much as I can have shot great out to 750yds. Gun is a factory savage. sporter barrel, worked over trigger, tupperware stock full of lead shot, floated barrel, shooting 168 gr Hornaday A-max bullets into tiny groups all day long, sports an EGW 20MOA picatinny rail with warne rings and a bushnell 6-22x40 mil dot scope. cheap rig. but man it shoots. kinda fun to blow some of my buddies high dollar outfits away with a walmart rig. Getting ready to switch to the 208gr Amax stoked with some H4831sc for a little less wind drift and a lot more uummfff!!!!:D

Nice pair of rifles you have. Congrats.
I've had a half dozen 30-06s. Finally got a Rem 742 LH Woodsmaster and I luv it to death. Fits me like a custom gun and shoots clover leafs at 100y all day long with 165gr ammo, does good at 200 and 300 also. I think I can shoot an inch group at 300 with it, but scope probs have thus far prevented me from doing so. I have the scope prob solved now, just need to get to the range Wed or Thurs and see. All good stuff.

I had a LH sstl .338 Sav but never got to shoot it as i got laid off and had to sell it. So I put it back on the list of stuff I 'need' :) to get when Obamunism is over and I can find a job again.

Last edited:
I have a custom 30-06 built on a 1909 Argentine mauser. I did all of the work including some custom engraving (that makes it more accurate). I shoot 165gr pills @ 3010 fps and knock the crap out of deer and elk. Every time I fill a tag with it I smile ear to ear. :D

I got a Weatherby Vanguard Sub MOA stainless in 30-06 a couple years ago to start shooting longer distances. 308 does it so a 30-06 will do just a bit more by my reasoning.

Oh yea skimbleshanks. The ole 06' will get the job. Done no prob. I've had great results with the 168 Amaxes and the 178 Amaxes. I think its cool to hear of other guys still using this caliber. For some reason it seems to get looked over quite often for other calibers for long range work but I have found no probs with it so far. Its cheap to shoot decent velocity very tolerable recoil and seems like most guys I talk to also claim very good accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.