338 WinMag to 338 RUM?

Advantages will depend on bullet weight more than anything. If you want to run 225 or even 250 the 338win cartridge should serve you well but if you want to run heavier slugs the rum is the way to go. I have a 338 edge (almost the same as the rum) that started life as a 338 win, It fired 12 rounds as a 338win working up to the low 2400s with the 300berger gen1 before being re-chambered which jumped velocity in that same barrel up to about 2850fps. The load I settled on in that gun runs 2781fps with a 300smk. Hard hitting, long brass life and cheep for a cartridge of such capability. Based on that experience: I would expect you to gain 350-450 fps and maybe more as this was all done in a 24" barrel.

Woods,

Would you mind throwing a .340 Roy into your calculations there? Would be interested to see how it stacks up. I am really thinking on buying a .300 Roy in the Vanguard then retubeing it with a 28" stainless fluted in .340 Roy or .338 Tejas the next year when I have more funds again. My bro has a 300 WBY right now and has everything to load for it so the only thing I would be out is brass.

340 Wtby 225 gr bullets average max velocity - 2927 fps

338 win mag average 2787 fps
338 RUM average 3144 fps

The case length of the 340 at 2.825" is even longer than the 338 RUM and would further be restricted by mag length and is belted. Being belted is not a killer but the brass manufacturers typically put a lot of head clearance on belted cases between the new case shoulder and typical chamber shoulder.

IMO if I wanted to go for a 338 heavy hitter (and didn't have one) I would find a Winchester (3 position safety) rifle in 264 wm, 7 rm, 300 wm or 338 wm and rebarrel to a 338RUM and get a Wyatt's box. Or if I had an action that I could not get a Wyatt's box I would rebarrel to a 338/375Ruger (will fit easily in a 3.4" magazine)

Well I went to the local gun shop and he found 2 rem 700's xcrII in 338rum. So I am wondering if the RUM action will drop in any stock fitted for a model 700 LA? Like I said I want a Thumbhole stock.

Lefty, your not wasting your time bro. I have been reading and taking in all accounts and advice. The reason I hate, and my whole family hates the .338 Win is because for several years we hunted elk with guys that had them and they wounded and lost more elk than anyone we know. It was more the shooter yes, without a doubt. We came to the conclusion that due to the slower speeds and farther distances they were trying to shoot (keep in mind, this was 20 years ago and they were NOT LRH'ers), they kept hitting them low. One guy switched to a .300 WBY and never lost another critter. So it is like that hypothetical truck you had that was a total *** and you would never buy another one even though the newer trucks they make are leaps and bounds better and would probably never give ya a problem. I vowed I would never own a .300 Windbag or a .338 Windbag back then and never will, unless it is a donor of course ;) . Stupid I know but hey we all have our quarks.

Woods,

Would you mind throwing a .340 Roy into your calculations there? Would be interested to see how it stacks up. I am really thinking on buying a .300 Roy in the Vanguard then retubeing it with a 28" stainless fluted in .340 Roy or .338 Tejas the next year when I have more funds again. My bro has a 300 WBY right now and has everything to load for it so the only thing I would be out is brass.
Thank you for that Sako.
The win is more like the trajectory of an '06 than a 300 wsm or 7 rem, but that 'aint all bad. You have to learn your pipe, and all's well. With the limited boiler room the 338 win has, something like the 225 tipped bullets (the nos a'bond or hdy I-bond) offers about as much as you can get as far as output. You will often get the same bc as a lead tipped 250 in a rum and you are moving the same speed, so you are only at a 10% energy deficit the whole way out with the same trajectory. The win can only do 2400fps on a 300 grain, so I'd not go there. The rum's boiler room will help more on 300's and you MAY net the 300+ fps that was talked about.

Well I went to the local gun shop and he found 2 rem 700's xcrII in 338rum. So I am wondering if the RUM action will drop in any stock fitted for a model 700 LA? Like I said I want a Thumbhole stock.
The differences are inside, the rails and the relieved mag-well sides. As long as the stock is built well enough to take a bit of a beating recoil wise you are fine. Most laminates are good to start with; I took a m700 mountain laminate off of a 280 (I love free stocks that only need a bit of finish) and opened up the barrel channel enough to shove my lightweight 375 h@h in. It shot just fine until I needed a stock for my 7rem on an adl to bdl conversion.

My first big bull in 2010 scored 341 B&C, My bull in 2012 scored 345 B&C. The 345 bull weighed 465lbs fully dressed, no hide, no lower legs. Dont know on my 2010 bull as we butchered it ourselves but I actually think he was bigger body wise by a good amount judging by the amount of meat we got.

I should clarify, It isn't that the 7STW didn't get the job done, obviously it did. Thing is I would like to see some bigger wound channels as I shoot boiler room if possible, not shoulder shots. To that though, I really like the way this Blackhawk Axiom stock feels on my daughters rifle and now I want one or a thumbhole desighn. So I want to step up the horse power with this new rifle as I cant restock my Sako. My Sako will be my speedgoat gun and backup rifle to the new gun. The new gun will be filling a larger purpose in the future than just elk hunting.

Right now I found a smoking deal on a .300 WBY Mark V for $500. The bbl may be shot out but for that price I could rebbl it to whatever I want. I also found a .340 Wby Alasakan stainless for $899 that is top shape. I really like the 60deg bolt lift on the Mrk V's. Hoever with them I cannot do the Axiom stock, only a laminated thumbhole. For $600 I could get a new Vanguard 300WBY stainless, use the Axiom stock, rebarrel it if I decide with the .340WBY.

So here is the next question, How expensive is a typical barrel swap?

To do a rebarrel, you're looking at 500-600 bucks.

A new barrel is $300-$350 depending on options & to have it threaded, chambered & crowned you looking at $200-ish.

t

I'm for experimenting and having fun doing it... can't beat good ole' imagination but I can't see why the .338 WM is not enough for elk even with a great bullet like a nosler partition or barnes -bullet. I would think that no elk could take a chest hit from either bullet and take to many steps. Your right about the costs, around $350 for a barrel, another $200 for the ream job and fitting but you forgot the true-ing of the action, no use going this far and not doing that...that's another $150 or so depending on who's doing what. My local gun shop Grices Gun Shop in Clearfield PA check out their home page and click on the shooters sale flyer found at the bottom of the insert on the right side.. and see what they have on sale next weekend... man luck with your conversion but I still can't see why a .338 is not enough..

I shot a 338 win mag for many years and it kills elk with authority as long as the range is within reason. I moved up to the 338 rum for the same reason a guy goes from a 350 small block to a duramax diesel. The 350 will get you there, but the duramax does it easier. I have a pet loads that shoot 225 gr accubonds @3300, 225 Barnes TTS @3250 and 300 gr Bergers at 2830

This last year I shot the 300 gr Berger exclusively just for some long range kills. I big bodied 5 point bull at 550 that crumpled at the shot. A small meat muley at 620 drt and several antelope. Good results.

For the previous 5 years I shot the 225 NAB and nothing ever went more than a few feet with most DRT

I also used some 250 gr partitions for one year on my previous barrel and they did ok with a kill at 542 on a 6 point bull, but I was disappointed with how much of the bullet peeled off leaving only a core to punch through to the vitals after breaking a shoulder.

I also used barnes X's in 210s for a few years and they did very well leaving the muzzle at 3400

I know I know I know........I am officially a hypocrite....... There is a Rem 700 stainless jeweled .338 WinMag for sale in my local classifieds for a smokin deal! It has a B&C black/white web finish stock, a cheap Burris scope, decent base, and ammo. I am meeting the guy in a little bit when I get off work.

Should I keep it the .338 WinMag, ream to .338 RUM and put a Wyatt's extended box mag, or do I just snatch everything off, and put a 7mmSTW barrel on it and have another STW?

Also, since it is a magnum action, would I, or would I not be able to convert it to a standard action, due to the wider feed rails? Or are the feed rails on a .338 WM the same as a standard action, but the only difference being the bolt face opening? In other words, by swapping a few things around, would I still be able to make a .280 AI out of this action just by swapping bolts, or is it not possible since it is a magnum action?

I run a few of these rifles..........

A couple of .338 win mags with 24" barrels.
A Rem SPS that started off as a 7mm Rem mag and is now a .338 RUM with a 26.5" stainless #4 barrel.
And I run a .338 Edge with a 30" barrel.

The introduction of the Berger Elite Hunter 250gn projectile has boosted the performance of both the .338 win mag and the .338 RUM. As such I don't use the .338 Edge now days as the lighter rifles can shoot so much further so easily that its not much advantage to carry the heavy .338 Edge anymore.

If I was starting out now days, I would simply get a .338 RUM built on a light weight stock with a 26 or 27" #4 barrel. Rifle weight just under 10lbs all up and capable out to 1k easy.

But if you only want to go to 600 yards or a bit further, then a .338 win mag will do a great job also.

See, the thing is, that I don't have any need at all for a .338 WinMag....Therefore I don't think it will stay a .338 for long.

I just need to know if I can swap out the bolt & floorplate, and turn it into a .280 AI, or if the feed rails are going to be too wide?

If they are too wide for standard cartridges, I will probably just turn it into another 7mm STW, or something weird like a 7mm x 300 WinMag.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.