.338 Win Mag?

G

In your opinion....is the .338 Winchester Mag an "over-rated" cartridge?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Not to me. It has more thump than the 300 WM but lacks the ballistics to be a dynamite round. It has its niche but that may not be LRH.

[ QUOTE ]
In your opinion....is the .338 Winchester Mag an "over-rated" cartridge?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmm I had no idea it was even rated. When you get above 30 cal the number of shooters thins out pretty fast.

I bought a Rem 700 in 338 Win that someone "messed" with thus price was right. All I wanted was the action for a 338 super hooty something.

Anyway, started working with it. Ended up its a pretty good shooter. In fact very good. Coyote accurate beyond 600 yds.

Tho, I've shot no big game with it yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Though I've been threatening the neighbor's lamas for some bullet tests.......

Bullet performance would seem to be outstanding. It shoots through everything I use as a backstop.

Sierra 2600s perform outstanding. Wildcat 252s are even better. Accuracy is at 2800fps MV. Kind of a bit of a rainbow shooter and it sounds like a missle going downrange but if you can hit what you're shootin at with those bullets the results are terminal.:)

To exceed its performance measurably and getting as much bang for the buck as seems reasonable, you'd have to skip over the 338 RUM and go to an Edge/Thunder or Tommahawk with at least 4 inch longer barrels. I know of a 338 Tommy w/a 32" bbl & 100 gr of Retumbo that comfortably gets the 250 SMK to 3120 or so.

To answer your question. If the 338 Win Mag is put in a rifle that is given as much attention to detail as most of the LR rifles on this board, I'd say its <font color="blue">under</font> rated.

Roy In Idaho

Reason I asked the question was someone here or on another board had made the comment that it WAS the most over-rated cartridge but in my opinion.....just the opposite was true!

Thanks for your reply! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It is not fast, it is not overly flat shooting, simply put it is not SEXY!!!

That said, it is accurate, it is easy to load for, it is easy to shoot and it drive bullets that will cleanly punch though most game animals on the planet at less then 1/4 mile and most at much farther ranges.

In all honestly, it maybe the most practical all around big game round ever designed for hunting everything from pronghorns to the big bears with only one rifle.

it is in my opinion vastly UNDER rated and unforuntely will remain that way. It is a great round though and as such will always be with us.

Kirby Allen(50)

I had one with a 30" air guage barrel that jack sniped several deer critters rather easily!!Nothing wrong with the .338 win bag!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.