.338 Win Mag Remington Vanguard Savage ??

anorphirith

I have a 1000$ budget for a .338WM rifle
Which of these 3 companies has the best quality control ?

-Vanguard SUB-MOA TR 1000$ (Weatherby)

-Remington 700 XCR II 1000$

-Savage 116 800$

Weatherby seems to charge 550$ extra just to make sure their rifles is SUB-MOA
the "regular" vanguard .338 win mag (Vanguard Synthetic) costs 440$, I might just end up with a very good copy

Answering a question like this always seems to stir up controversy. Opinions vary greatly even here at L/R/H.
I guess it would depend alot on the luck of the draw for wich rifle would be most accurate out of the box and have the best Q.C. Of the 3 listed Id lean towards Weatherby first then Rem. based on my Personal Preferance alone. There are fans of all 3 brands mentioned who are members here, and shoot long range. You could buy any of the 3 and get a real shooter.
This is how I go about forming my opinion. Are all 3 brands known to be accurate? Yep. Are all 3 known to be quality brands. Yep. Are all 3 buildable for later? Yep.
Buy what feels best to YOU.
Im sure others will chime in with different opinions, but Ill bet most everyone agrees you should buy what YOU like. Good luck.

What about a $275 Stevens 200 and a $300 prefit barrel from Shilen, Pac Nor, Douglas, McGowan........?

You'd still have enough money left over for a good stock and have a better rifle than any of the others.

What about a $275 Stevens 200 and a $300 prefit barrel from Shilen, Pac Nor, Douglas, McGowan........?

You'd still have enough money left over for a good stock and have a better rifle than any of the others.

+1 but don't forget the aftermarket trigger.

Fitch

I just went through the 338 debate and ended it today. I picked up a Savage 116 in 338 Win Mag. It has the accu trigger, accu stock, and a switch on and off muzzle break. I won't get to shoot it for a few days but it seems pretty nice. Also I got mine for like $720 something, not $800.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.