338 wim max effective range.

The MRX is a good bullet. I've never recovered one. Pics on the net show excellent mushroom with almost 100% weight retention. BC for a 225 bullet is .433.

A lot of people would like to know this... I suspect Berger will have quite a challange developing a 300 gr bullet that holds together in a J4 jacket.

No kidding! The 300gr sierras are going up to 3500fps in the 338AM, it sure would be nice for the the VLD to hold together at that velocity.

The 338 win mag estimated ballistics with the 250VLD looks promising. 6500ft with 2650fps muzzle velocity, it produces 1795fps and 1712ft-lb @ 1000 yards.

Man that would be so awesome but we'll have to wait and see to confirm it...

Those mumbers look awesome. The swift sirroco is not bad either. Diameter .338" Grain 210 Profile BTS Length 1.393" Sectional Density .263 Ballistic Coefficient .507. It is of course not as amazing as the bergers will be

I forgot to tell you guys. my gunsmith in montpieller, Id is going to be conducting the testing of the 250 and 300 grn bergers later this month. The name of the store is Elk country sports. Here is the #
(208) 847-1200

Darrin

Darrindlh,
The easiest way to describe what cases like what powders is this:
Expansion ratio dictates how a powder burns in any cartridge/calibre.

Powder burning rate is not constant from case to case. The 338 performs best with RE19 because it burns correctly for the case size and bore size, which is dictated by it's "Expansion Ratio". This is the measurement of bore volume in CI divided by case volume in CI.

The reason is this, because there is more area under the bullet this powder burns progressively below it, whereas a slower powder has trouble burning progressively and may not even reach max pressure before the bullet exits the muzzle. It has been deemed too slow for the application.

Essentially, the combustion chamber is larger and therefore allows medium powders to behave like those of a slower nature.
gun)

Montana Rifleman
Thanks for your input. i just put my order in to savage for my 116 weather warrior with a heavy sporter barrel with 6 flutes. The length of my barrel is 24 in and I have the accustock? Can't wait
Darrin

Montana Rifleman
Thanks for your input. i just put my order in to savage for my 116 weather warrior with a heavy sporter barrel with 6 flutes. The length of my barrel is 24 in and I have the accustock? Can't wait
Darrin

If you don't mind me asking........How much did you pay for it? They are over 2K down under.

Also what scope do you plan on putting onto it? I just fitted out my sons new Tikka T3 SS Laminate .338WM with a Clearidge 2.5-12.5x42 on a picatinny rail and Leupold 30mm rings. We have been giving it a work out over the last few days and it has performed very well. All up it wieghs about 8lb.

Tap shot,
Got off the phone with savage today The rifle itself will cost me $900. I am going put the vortex crossfire 30mm tube 6-24x50 on top. I just don't know if i want them to put a 26 inch barrel or stay with the 24. If I have them put the 26 inch it will cost $1000. only one hundred more. Don't know if it is worth it. Any suggestions?

Darrin

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.