.338 ultra mag, long range deer and Elk bullet?

orangeride

I've got a Rem 700 .338 ultra mag with a 27" krigger. I'm looking into tackling some longer shots on Deer and Elk out to 7 or 8 hundred yards. I'm looking for match grade accuracy but still good performance on deer and Elk. Any help would be nice.

Your talking chip shot distances.

With out a doubt the bullet of choice would be the 300 gr Berger Hybrid moving along at a little over 2700 fps. Its way better than a 225 NAB moving much faster. Really!

The 300 SMK would be decent also but I want to hit some bone with it just to get things started properly.:)

I push a 300 Hybrid at 2725 with scary accuracy with longest comfortable range, in my favorite ambush spot, being 1200 yds.

All I need now is for the proper season, with the proper tag, with elk being compliant with the tag (Bull/Cow) and the darn wind to be agreeable that day.:D:D

thanks for the input. How does the Berger hybrid do on smaller stuff like deer? Can I count on it to expand? For some reason the Berger web site doesn't show a 300gr .338 bullet. Maybe you could point me in the right direction to find some.

The 300 grain Berger hybrids and the SMK are great long range bullets, as long as you shoot your quarry at long range. They have had bad results at closer distances Im told. I shoot two loads. one being the 210 TTSX (soon to change to the 225) at 3390fps and 300 SMK at 2765. I have not shot anything with the 300's yet but have with the 210's and they work great.ohh, I shoot a factory 700 XCR in .338 RUM.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.