338 ultra load development

YZEATER

started load testing for my new/used 338 ultra mag yesterday. didn't get anything better then about a 2.5" -3 "group.

new cases, 250gr AB, retumbo , and H1000, started 2.0 grains less then max and increased in .5 grain increments. bullets were seated as long as the magazine box would allow. i didn't have any reloader 25 to try. the primers had some cratering, but were not flattened, and bolt lift never got hard on any round. did have one primer blow thru and ruin the case on the lowest H1000 load.

gun is rem 700, muzzlebrake, 3.5 lb trigger, leupold 4.5 x 14 vxIII.

i think i'll try some 225 AB and some reloader 25 with the 250's.

i didn't resize the new cases, just primed and loaded them up. problem?

That's not too good.

What rifle is it? Standard factory Remington barrel or custom heavy barrel.
A load of 93 to 95 grains of H1000 seated to 0.020" off the lands with a 250 grain AB should produce excellent accuracy without too much load developement work.

Check you brake is tight and aligned properly to the bore.

The scope or mounts could also be suspect.

standard remington 700 light 26" barrel. going with hodgdon's loading of 98.0 max i started with 96.5 and went up in .5 gr till max.

i redid the mounts as i was going to change them out, but didn't have what i thought i had on hand so everything was cleaned and remounted. scope is 1 season old, and shot great on my 257 wthby.

brake is tight but i don't have a way to check alignment.

Try 95 grains of H1000. If still no good and you are not happy with the accuracy. Take it to a gun smith. Let him sort out the problem.

With the high cost of .338 RUM ammo it is no use mucking about with a rifle that is not accurate. It may cost you a bit to get a gunsmith to sort out your problem, but at the end of the day you will have a much better rifle and far less frustration.

I forgot my factory loaded ammo when i left so i didn't have a baseline to start from. The barrel was clean and according to the previous owner it only had 22 rounds through it.

Oops. Forgot to mention i did uniform the primer pockets before loading.

I've never turned necks before.

I have a synthetic stock but never did check if it was floated. After there first group i did make sure to rest the gun just ahead of the chamber.

Last edited:
If the stock is the factory tuppeware p.o.s, I would round file that thing and get a good synthetic or laminate. You will do nothing but fight that stock, no matter what you do to it!

Ditch that stock. I built two matching .338 rums with 27" heavy krieggers. My rifle I used a hs stock and it shot 1/2" the first time out with 225 nab. My buddie was to cheap and wanted to use the factory stock. We never could get it to shoot till we got rid of it. I do think the factory laminated is pretty good if it's bedded and floated right. But it's heavy.

Sounded as if your brass was brand new, my new brass runs short in the chamber, and I dont accuracy load until second firing. Mine is 5-6 thousands short

The 250 AB's are usually very accurate. Could be your rifle just doesn't like them. Some rifles just don't like a bullet and love another. My rifle is just like yous with the factory stock and is a very accurate long range rifle. I shoot the 225 AB's with 99 grains of RE-25.

My remington sendaro 338 rum liked any bullet tested. I had to send it back for repair and remington replaced the barrel. The new barrel wouldnt shoot any bullet with a with a short bearing surface (225-250 boat tails of any brand). I switched to a hornady 250 flatbase and my accuracy came back. Both barrels shot the 300 smk very well.

I'm surprised nobody caught it but in my opinion your problem is you never sized your new brass. Have a look at the necks on new brass right out of the bag, its all jacked up and you will never get consistant neck tension unless it is sized (thus no accuracy).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.