.338 tejas - 5 shot group - .4"

yes, I had the barrel speed selector set to the lowest setting possible for accuracy purposes. I actually lapped the barrel in reverse (muzzle to chamber) to ensure the bullet got the most friction to apply as much spin as possible. It decreases your velocity a bit but increases accuracy significantly. Testing was done on a 29.5" barrel and the break adds a bit more length but doesn't have an effect on velocity.

Actually just looked at my log book and I was getting 2835 fps on 94g of H1000 using the 300g Sierra. Don't have the chronograph data on the 95g of H1000 available. I was using a PVR-22 chronograph for my testing. What chrony model did you use?

I would agree that my equipment is not as good or as fast as yours. I would also venture to bet that your diesel truck gets better fuel economy than mine and your dad can whip my dad. :)

The net of the story is that I posted this thread because I enjoy shooting and wanted to share my data. If I wanted to get into a "my stuff is better than your stuff" discussion, I wouldn't have wasted my time posting it.

Whoa turbo,

I didn't read groper's thread that way, it was just a question. Thanks for posting your stuff, it was an interesting read, until your underwear got too tight.

Steve

yes, I had the barrel speed selector set to the lowest setting possible for accuracy purposes. I actually lapped the barrel in reverse (muzzle to chamber) to ensure the bullet got the most friction to apply as much spin as possible. It decreases your velocity a bit but increases accuracy significantly. Testing was done on a 29.5" barrel and the break adds a bit more length but doesn't have an effect on velocity.

Actually just looked at my log book and I was getting 2835 fps on 94g of H1000 using the 300g Sierra. Don't have the chronograph data on the 95g of H1000 available. I was using a PVR-22 chronograph for my testing. What chrony model did you use?

I would agree that my equipment is not as good or as fast as yours. I would also venture to bet that your diesel truck gets better fuel economy than mine and your dad can whip my dad. :)

The net of the story is that I posted this thread because I enjoy shooting and wanted to share my data. If I wanted to get into a "my stuff is better than your stuff" discussion, I wouldn't have wasted my time posting it.
I might be mistaken, but I am pretty sure I talked to you that day that pic was taken at the Colorado Rifle Club. You told my friend that day that my Burris was junk compared to your equipment (Nightforce). You also told me after I questioned you about the 338 Tejas that you were shooting over 3000fps. Thats only after you found out I was shooting a 338/378! If thats not calling the kettle black I am not sure what is?

I think i remember that day. It was the first day i shot the rifle and was just working up a load for it. I wasn't even paying attention to what you were shooting - sorry. I faintly recall it was a completely stock rifle that is about it. No recollection on your groups - may be you can post a photo of your best 5 shot group with your rifle - I would love to see it.

The comment you made a bout me telling you that your Burris is crap - IS CRAP. I don't know what Burris you have and have never even looked through one. Frankly, I thought they were out of business - may be I was thinking Redfield?

I have never shot a .338/.378 but wold love to. Now that you have peaked my interest, send me a PM and we can meet up and shoot! Tightest group buys lunch! I will even let you shoot with your fancy recoil reducing rest while i do it off of bags. :)

Regarding Headspace:

The Datum Line for headspacing is still the case/shoulder intersection which is the same as the factory round.

Spoke to Brad Stair at Cross Canyon Arms this morning about it.

[QUOTE=shepardsonp; I actually lapped the barrel in reverse (muzzle to chamber) to ensure the bullet got the most friction to apply as much spin as possible. It decreases your velocity a bit but increases accuracy significantly.

i'm curious about this statement. not sure you would get any more friction lapping from one end or the other. but i'd like to know how this would create as much spin as possible and make it more accurate. this is new to me, just asking.

I have a 338-378 tejas that Brad built and boy can it shoot. Brad builds a hell of a gun. I am still fireforming brass and the accuracy has been insane.

It is built on a sako m995 action. Brad built the gun for himself but I was able to talk him out of it. It has a 30 inch barrel and is mounted in a mcmillan A 5 stock.

Im sorry if i offended you shepardsonp, i dont care for ****ing matches at all myself... Nor do i beleive velocity is more important than accuracy...

The reason i posted my previous comment, is i am totally bewildered as to why your getting the velocities you stated??? Its quite unusual to get those numbers from such a large case and so much H1000...

What is your barrel brand, twist, and groove spec?

Cross Canyon Arms is now up and running! They have over 100 barrels in stock and roughly 25 McMillan stocks. You can call Brad at his new shop (801) 731-0172. For those of you who were wondering about Brad having to finish my rifle "on the side", let me clarify what I meant by that comment.

Brad completed my rifle on his own personal time so I could make it to my long range shooting school with this rifle. All the money for this rifle went to Wasatch Precision Arms. I didn't pay Brad to complete this rifle in addition to what i already payed WPA.

Just wanted that to be crystal clear.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.