338 Swift bullets

Hi, I used 200g Swift A-frames in my 300 RUM (93.5 grains Re25--I know your asking about the 338 WinMag, but thought I'd mention) last year on my elk. 237 yd low neck spinal shot with a MV of 3100fps. Spine at the very base of the neck was completely gone pulverized and I couldn't even find any bullet fragments. Never found the bullet. Hit the ground somewhere. Apparently, they hold together quite well...

My complaints are that they are quite expensive and for the price, don't have the bullet to bullet uniformity that I would expect. Swift says they are only a hunting bullet, not a comp bullet. Granted. But for that price I would expect more uniformity. I'm going to work up a load with the 200 grain Nosler Accubond and play around with H50BMG powder this year. I think that bullet will perform more than adequately on elk and the higher BC will help a bit at the longer ranges as well.

I'm sure you'll be quite happy with what a 338 Swift A-frame does to elk.

Jon Denham

Jon - My 338 -is getting a 28 #6 tube and Vais break , before I used 250 gr partitions at 2700fps but the last couple of years , I've been disappointed in their performance , where I hunt I have to break them down quick , lots of people , so I take both shoulders , my range can go to 400 yards, so ---- been thinking of the new bonded bullets also , any body else got any ideas - - thanks

I would try the Barnes TSX. They are cheaper and very accurate at least they have been in my 300 Win Mag and 7mm STW. I also have been getting about a 100 to 200 fps faster than standard bullets and these things will go through shoulders and then some.

[ 04-25-2004: Message edited by: dakor ]

Hi, The Accubond is Nosler's new bonded core bullet and overall seems to be getting pretty good reviews in this forum. It seems that is has a pretty good balance between high BC, how much it opens and how tough it is.

Your going for the A-frame for the same reason I did initially and also I was hunting in griz country and wanted a very tough bullet for that one shot I might need for Mr. griz, but when the Accubond came out last fall...well, it's got me thinking--especially when it comes to long shots.

Jon

Jon - I have a 300 win mag , and have used this for my long range gun for deer and goats for more years than I would care to mention , has provided meat to the freezer every year for as long as I can remember - but mostly Hornady and Sierra bullets , the 338 has just been my baby. its performance , although not the fastest , has been the most consistant and reliable . I am pleased with all the new bullets and new powders avaible over the last decade , I guess I'm just slow to get caught up . -thanks

Hi !
I have a Tikka in 338WM and my load for the 275grs A-Frame is 58,5grs N160.
This load is made for short range shooting. If i should have one bullet for all distances i would have used the 250grs A-Frame.

My best presision came with a 250grs Hornady bullet, but since expansion and little meat destruction is so important i choose the heavy A-Frame and a moderate velocity.

I have shot a lot of Swift A-Frame bullet in the .338 and can tell you that they can be very accurate. I weigh and segregate by tenths, shoot them in weighed bunches. The 225 grain is a wonderful killer in the .338.
I practice with 225 Speer bullets, they hit the same point of impact as the more expensive Swifts.
Good luck, my favoriet load uses H-4831 or the discontinued Win. MRP.

Ian - I weigh and prep my cases but have not ever weighed my bullets , is this something you do because of your benchrest experience , just because , or are the bullets weights really that crazy.

FYI concerning your last question...this is my experience with the (granted) 30 cal:

Randomly selected (.444 BC) 30 cal 200g Swift A-frames varied as much as 4/10 of a grain from 200g. Randomly selected (.588 BC) 200g 30 cal Nosler Accubonds varied by 1/10 g at most from 200g. Bullet lengths measured with Sinclair bullet comparator could be different by several thousandths with the A-frames. Every one of the Nosler Accubonds I measured with the bullet comparator were EXACTLY the same. If you want consistent bullet seating to be a certain distance from the lands, this could be an issue. With 1.44 difference in BC between these bullets (I don't recall the numbers for the .338 cal), past 400 or 500 yds, I would think the Accubond would be holding a ballistic edge (bullet drop, retained energy).

Another option to make the Win 338 mag "all that it can be" is merely pickup a box or two of Federal's Premium HIGH Energy factory
loads. I've harvested more than one Elk with 338 Win Mag. 210 Noslers Part. But last time out thought to try these hot Fed's There are a variety of bullets to pick from but the 250 Nosler Part is one load. The High E loading pushes the velocity up to .340 WB level or 2850 or more in the long barrel you
mentioned. One box should = 20 Elk ;-) thats
a lot of hunting. rjb
wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.