338 STA

dakor

Anyone have one or heard of taking a 358 STA and using the same case design in a 338 cal? I am looking for a bigger 338 but I do not want to go 340 weatherby, Lapua or RUM.

jb you are correct the 358 sta (shooting times alaska) is a 8mm mag necked up.

I suppose I could have said 338-375H&H IMP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Yes I am bascially looking for a 338 based off the 375 H&H case with the shoulder blown out to 35 or 40 degrees. I suppose I could go 340 Weatherby but I do not want the free bore or weatherby shoulder.

I think my brother shoots pretty close to what you want. Its a 338-8mm Remington Mag, chambered by pacnor. I don't know the shoulder angle, though. Velocity out of a 27 inch barrel was pretty good, I want to say he was pushing 250 grainers around 3000fps. I think this cartridge goes by a different name as well, like 338 Alaskan, or canadian (some norther part of the continent)

Dakor

You can just about make anything you want. Have a reamer made to the specs, have a good gunsmith chamber the bbl for you. Just take $$ , but it dont hurt that long!

what BD408 said -- run a 340 with freebore set as you want it. Most custom smiths will have shorter throated reamers than Factory Spec.

Bruce baer does an IMP version...

JB

I thought about going with a 340 with a shorter throat but I have been told you are not able to get the Weatherby velocity's without the free bore. Anyone know if this is true or not?

To some degree that is true but you may find with a match grade barrel and tight throat that this will make up for the loss of the freebore. Accuracy will greatly improve with a proprely designed shorter throat.

Remember if you shorten the throat though that the option to shoot factory Wby ammo is gone. Will produce much to high of pressure even if it chambers.

I would give up a few fps for accuracy any day as I am sure you would as well.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby I will give up a few FPS for accuracy. Thanks for the info. I still have not decided what to make as of yet. Has anyone ever taken a 300win and necked it up to a 338? That might be a good wildcat. I guess what I am looking for is a 338 cal that can push a 225 around the 3000fps mark with out a ton of recoil from a 10lbs rifle scoped and no brake. I can handle recoil from a 9lbs 375 H&H shooting 300gr bullets but I do not think I would want to go over that level if I do not have to. I am trying to build a long range Elk rifle that I can carry all day.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.