338 snipe tac

huntermncb

If you were going to build a cheytac based cartridge what action would you choose? Seems most really like the model m bat. Has anyone built off a stiller? What stiller would you reccomend the 1.4 or 1.6 model?

I don't think you can get a BAT "M" with the Chytec bolt face any more. They only show the "L" and the "CT" action available for the Chytec round.

Welcome to BAT Machine Product Page

They don't have a direct link to the page that lists the combos. On this page click on the red "action" tab. After that page loads click on any of the "configure action" tabs on the right...that takes you to the page that lists whats what.

huntermncb:

See your many choices on the 408 CT tab in this matrix - http://www.elr-resources.com/Receiver Matrixes - All 11252012.xls

I suggest you look hard at the Barker Overwatch action - excellent product at a very reasonable price. You will need to call or e-mail John for the stand alone action pricing as he no longer lists action prices separately (only barreled action - which include a LOT more than just the barrel and action).

What would you reccomend on caliberi have a 338 lapua already. Do you guys prefer the 375 or 338

Is it bad when you have searched and read almost every post about these cartridges and still can't make up your mind. Thanks Joel I have looked seems like most people prefer the 338s because of bullets.

You really won't need anything more than a 338 Lapua until you have mastered it. It's your safest and best option, loaded ammunition, the military is standardized on it, bullets and Lapua brass. Or, a high end 22lr for trigger and wind practice. This hobby gets expensive remember. You can learn a lot from a precision or accurate 22lr. Tons of cheap ammunition and even they shoot differently from lot to gun and conditions.

Not to worried about the cost as I do reload. And this is a cartridge your probably not going to shoot all that much I want one of these big calibers for hunting elk during the late season in Arizona.

Have one on a Stiller 1.6 was going to do one for a lighter gun on a Stiller 1.4 .

Found Snowny mountain has a Ct bolt face in stock. But a lighter Barker overwatch would be a good one to try.

The gun I have is light recoiling but heavy to carry

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p511/cowboywhorses/338snipetac_zps1acbc9de.jpg

Also choose you twist rate to coincide with what bullets you may need I have some problems shooting Cutting edge need a faster twist 1-9 now. May make the next one a 1-8.5 or 1-8 when i find a barrel maker for it.

Good luck

God Bless.

Jeff

Jeff do you have a 338 or 375?, what do u think your rifle weighs. It would be nice to stay under 20 pounds scoped

Not to worried about the cost as I do reload. And this is a cartridge your probably not going to shoot all that much I want one of these big calibers for hunting elk during the late season in Arizona.

The Lapua will serve you well to the 1,200-1,300 yard range, then that's where the big .338's take over.

Jeff do you have a 338 or 375?, what do u think your rifle weighs. It would be nice to stay under 20 pounds scoped

The only real way to keep the rifle under 20 lbs is to use a lighter barrel. My 14 lb .338-.408 has a 30" barrel that tapers to .900". Most of the others are in the 20lb range.

huntermncb,
Dan Glover (DCGS) of Dan's Custom Gun Service is building a 338 Snipetac for me. He is using a Stiller TAC 408 in 1.6 diameter.

I hate to start a war here but........... Dave Viers who designed, spent tons of time/money developing the snipetac should be your first stop if you want one. I know that it's OK to get "your" smith to build you whatever but it's also nice to reward the developer of the design for thier hard work. Dave also builds great dies and has fireformed brass available. I had him barrel a lawton for me and the work is great, price is VERY reasonable, and he did create the round.....

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.