338 RUM... What would YOU do?

Yep as shown above my NXS is legal in ID.

Regarding the trigger, Grit showed me the results of working his savvy on a Remmy factory trigger. You'd have a hard time, in a blind test, telling it from my Jewel. Really.

My factory Rem 338 RUM has a Holland QD brake. I'm considering trying Jim See's Muscle Brake though she does just fine with the Holland.

If the stock is pillar and skim bedded it should do you just fine. Mine is a tupperware job and she carrys, handles and shoots exceedingly well.

Heck, you may wish to consider sending it to Grit and let him have at it. That's what I did with one the other day and I'm not gonna be disappointed.

Good luck with your quest.

I have the same gun, except mine has a blued action. Over the years it keeps changing for the better. My action has been trued and I now have a 28 inch Broughton 5C barrel with a 9.3 twist, last year I decided to shed some weight and removed my laminate stock and bought a bell and carlson alaskan stock with full length aluminum bedding block, it shaved about 1 pound. Break is a must, I shot mine for 4 years without one, now I am older and smarter. I recently installed a jewel trigger, nice upgrade, I had a canjar set trigger before and while it is a good trigger, I didn't like the safety and it didn't work well with the new stock. For a scope, I am shooting a Sightron S-3 8-32x56 with Burris rings and I really like it. I have just started shooting 300 gr bergers with 91 gr of H*1000 with good results. Gun likes 225 accubonds with 98 grs of H-1000 also.

Alright guys,
here's the project... I have a *Factory* Remington LSS 338 rum LEFTY. My ultimate goal for this rig is to kill Elk at ranges out to 1000 yards, and target shoot out way past that.
YOUR MISSION SHOULD YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT... Budget $1500. What would YOU build??? Scope (no illuminated recticles, Idaho doesnt allow it), base, rings, etc.
I need it to hold up to the 300gr berger or SMK.gun)
My Idea so far... Vortex Viper HS LR 6-24x50 FFP, egw 20moa base, burris XTR rings, Muzzle break.
You guys are the pro's so give your opinions.
What would you do?
Thanks in advance!!!:D

It's very simple.

Bed the action, float the barrel and break it if the recoil is to much for you.

I would also recomend the 225 or 250 Accubond for 1000 yard hunting. There is no reason to go
with larger bullets for those distances.

I use the 225 for distances up to 600 or 700 yards. (Very Flat shooting) and the 250 out to 1100
hundred yards. (The energy is still over 1500 ft/lbs) and both bullets are very dependable
performers.

Scope it with any good scope up to 20x with lots of eye relief and you should be ready for Elk.

There is no reason to replace anything on the rifle as long as it shoots well. You have a capable
rifle if you load good loads for it.

J E CUSTOM

OK JE......I apparently need some schooling, so enlighten me if you would. Why would you say there is no reason to use the full sized slugs? Nothing is flat at a thousand yards and do to the rapid velocity bleeding of lower bc bullets the extra initial speed will be long gone at 1100 windage and terminal velocity at impact will swing negative for the lighter pills. What would be gained by the lighter bullets? Not tying to be argumentative just tying to understand the philosophy behind that statement.

OK JE......I apparently need some schooling, so enlighten me if you would. Why would you say there is no reason to use the full sized slugs? Nothing is flat at a thousand yards and do to the rapid velocity bleeding of lower bc bullets the extra initial speed will be long gone at 1100 windage and terminal velocity at impact will swing negative for the lighter pills. What would be gained by the lighter bullets? Not tying to be argumentative just tying to understand the philosophy behind that statement.

The 250 and the 300 grain bullets are almost the same energy and velocity at 1000 yards
but drop is 30'' less with the 250 grain bullet.

Most of us would like to have nothing but 1000+ yard shots but in the real world that is the
exception and most shots are less than 600 yards. so the logic of a 250 grain bullet is based
on that because at less than a 1000 yards flatter trajectory can be a plus. Also time of flight
can be very important on moving targets.

If I were going to shoot well over 1000 yards then I would first get a larger case than the 338
RUM that could move the 300 grain bullets at or above 3000 ft/sec. then you could take
advantage of the heaver bullets higher BC.

I have a 338 rum that is very good with 225 and 250 grain bullets And to utilize the 300 grain
bullets I am testing a 338 of my on design that will hold 115 to 119 grains of powder and should
push the 300 grain bullets to over 3000 ft/sec. It will not hold the amount of powder that the
338/378 or the Excalibur will but should not be far behind them in velocity with the 300 grain
bullets.

Your logic is good, but the 338 RUM doesn't have enough case capacity to utilizes the benefits of
the 300 grain bullets in my opinion. They need long barrels and large powder charges to be
an asset.

I am very happy with my 338 rum but it does have it's limits and like all cartriges there is an optimum bullet weight for velocity,trajectory and energy.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Fair enough and thanks for the reply.......I still love the big 300 grainers myself. Do not want to hijack anymore than I already have but..........Keep us posted on the "big" cartridge development. Thanks again...............D

The 250 and the 300 grain bullets are almost the same energy and velocity at 1000 yards
but drop is 30'' less with the 250 grain bullet.

Most of us would like to have nothing but 1000+ yard shots but in the real world that is the
exception and most shots are less than 600 yards. so the logic of a 250 grain bullet is based
on that because at less than a 1000 yards flatter trajectory can be a plus. Also time of flight
can be very important on moving targets.

If I were going to shoot well over 1000 yards then I would first get a larger case than the 338
RUM that could move the 300 grain bullets at or above 3000 ft/sec. then you could take
advantage of the heaver bullets higher BC.

I have a 338 rum that is very good with 225 and 250 grain bullets And to utilize the 300 grain
bullets I am testing a 338 of my on design that will hold 115 to 119 grains of powder and should
push the 300 grain bullets to over 3000 ft/sec. It will not hold the amount of powder that the
338/378 or the Excalibur will but should not be far behind them in velocity with the 300 grain
bullets.

Your logic is good, but the 338 RUM doesn't have enough case capacity to utilizes the benefits of
the 300 grain bullets in my opinion. They need long barrels and large powder charges to be
an asset.

I am very happy with my 338 rum but it does have it's limits and like all cartriges there is an optimum bullet weight for velocity,trajectory and energy.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM
I shoot a couple 338 RUMs...Factory length barrel of 26inches...225 and 250 accubonds are the ticket,,Move up to the 300 and its a big difference..the 300s arent really an advantage, unless you have a bigger gun,,,EDGE, AX. then you definately see the difference...

I shoot a couple 338 RUMs...Factory length barrel of 26inches...225 and 250 accubonds are the ticket,,Move up to the 300 and its a big difference..the 300s arent really an advantage, unless you have a bigger gun,,,EDGE, AX. then you definately see the difference...

The 338 RUM and the Edge are near twins so take that one off the list.

Scot E.

Mine is actually an edge throwing the 300 grainers at 2730 with good case life or 2845 loaded hot out of a 24" barrel. I played with the 250 grainers when I first got her. Worked up until I got up above 3000 and then stopped and switched to the 300 grainers. I can not imagine going back. But......it's all good and to each there own. this is my first 338 but now I can not imagine not having one.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts