338 rum reloading

I am shooting the 265 LRX with IMR 7828 ssc. Bobby Hart thumbhole laminate pillar and glass bedded. Factory 26 inch barrel with a Steve Pratt (site sponsor) titanium break.

Can't remember the powder charge off hand but I am shooting a velocity of somewhere in the high 2700 to just around 2800. As soon as I get back to town I will give you the specs.

It's killed lots of deer and elk. Longest shot was 880 and the deer dropped like a stone. Great bullet...

I'd like to hear if anyone has tried RL33 with the 265 lrx. I think I might throw some together and do some testing. With Kirby's testing and Riley's testing it looks like the powder to go to in these 338's.

Bump,

I'm venturing into loading this bullet in my .338 RUM Sendero.
Any more experience with this bullet and powder combos would be gratly appreciated.
gun)

I stick to H1000 and Retumbo with my .338 RUM. I haven't tried the 265's, but have used the 250 triple shock.
I would start with H1000 and use the min. charge for the 250's and drop a grain or two. Work up to your max.

You will probably have a hard time fitting them to the mag length and have them shoot well. I just started to use the 250 grain elite hunters and am Very happy with them, fitting the mag and having great accuracy... speed to boot (3125 fps).

Plus one, on the H-1000 an Retumbo! I also havnt tried the 265's, but 250 AccuBond's really work well in my 338 RUM. Also over 3100plus. Remington SS 700 action( trued an squared) 28" Pac-Nor barrel(1n10 twist) Boyd's laminated stock. It's a shooter. 200 yrd zero, shoots bug holes!! The load I'm using is a compressed load, but no signs of pressure or heavy bolt! As always, start low an work your way up!

DT

I just saw how old this post is, and I haven't shot the 265 LRX. But I need a new heavy bullet combo and am thinking of pairing the LRX with RL25 and RL33, and seeing which way looks better. These are just powders I always have on my shelf because Reloder allows me to use the same powder in various rifles with great results. I will probably start with 85gr of RL25 and work up, and it looks like I can almost start with a case full of RL33, published data for a 300gr is 99.3gr of powder, so I will probably load a little lighter than that and work up in 1gr increments. I'll post the results when I'm done.

try ramshot magnum, as for data call ty at barnes or ramshot powders. both are very helpful.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.