.338 RUM problem

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by angus-5024, Aug 19, 2009.

1. angus-5024

angus-5024 Well-Known Member

got back from field shooting last night and did I ever have a nightmare. I have developed a load using 300 SMK's ontop of 88 grains Retumbo and CCI 250's. It shoots a ragged hole at 100 yards which is great, but shooting it at 300 last night I couldnt hit a milk jug. I dont know if
    A- my load is going way too slow
    B- I incorrectly reset my turrets
    c- There is a major issue with the rifle that wouldnt show up at 100 yards.

I hope that I set my turret wrong and It's a quick fix, but just out of curiousity what are you guys getting for velocity out of a 26 inch tube and 88grains Retumbo? I obviously dont have a chronograph or know someone with one. This will be my long distance shooting load, but if I cant hit at 300 yards I cant hit at 600+.
    Thanks and God bless.

JM

2. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

My advice is to get a larger target backer and shoot a few groups at 300 yards. Then decide if you have a problem. Sometimes the difference between 100 and 300 yards when it comes to lefts and rights, lighting etc....can suprise you. Try and eliminate any frustration or doubts from your mind when you do this test. If there are bullets sprayed all over the backer, then worry.

3. kidcoltoutlaw

kidcoltoutlaw Well-Known Member

Before I got my chronography I would check the charts and see how high I needed to be to hit at say 500. If I need to be 8 inches high at 100 to hit at 500 I would shoot it at 100 to see if I was 8 inch high at 100. Works but not as good a Exbal and a chronography. Sometimes a load that shoots at 100 will not shoot at a distance,

Thanks,Keith

4. angus-5024

angus-5024 Well-Known Member

Gotter figured out. I must have buggered my zero when I reset my turrets. Took the rifle out Sunday and dialed up correctly and made a perfect first round hit. Hit all the way out to 600 (the farthest I have mad a hit), just about a first round hit at 920. After the first one I just got further away from the target. must have been the 37*C heat. thanks all.

5. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

Thanks for the drama Angus, glad you got'er figured out :)