338 rum loads?

jax338

I know this have been posted on here before but I have some 250gr matchkings and 225gr accubonds and was wondering what were some of the loads you guys shoot and the velocity of these loads also. My gun is a factory 700 lss. Thanks in advance guys.

Jax338,

I just got my 338 RUM back last friday evening. Its a factory 700 BDL w/a factory take off 26" cm barrel. I just completed a Tubbs Final Finish abreviated process as a personal "lets see what this does" quest.

As soon as I get the scope remounted I'll be in your same shape but I have an Idea of where I want to end up

I'll try to keep things posted here.

Initial impressions though are that the Holland QD brake is still a sweet thing. A 250gr bullet pooping along at 2500 is pretty much like a 22-250 or less.

I was cautioned to go slow w/the abrasive bullets. 2400 fps was a 400 over the predicted for the load, which was a good sign, I hope.

The 338 Win bbl was shooting @ 2800 and as much as 2930 w/the 250 bullet. I should be able to do at least that with less wear and tear on the casses.....

I have had very good luck with the 225 AB and IMR 7828 out of my 700 338RUM. I am using moly coated bullets. I started at 90 grains and worked my way up. I believe I stopped at 93 grains, but don't quote me on that. I got 3050 fps at the top end before I got pressure signs. Keep in mind this is with a 26" barrel that has been ported, so I probably lost a little velocity.
I got pressure signs at lower velocity with both H1000 and Retumbo and powder charges were compressed with Retumbo. The IMR 7828 fills the case nicely.
I have been getting 1/2" groups with the 225AB. I think you will like it.
Best of luck, Sam

Here's this afternoon's results. chrono'd only no groups.

338 RUM 26" chrome moly Remington sporter barrel.
FED-215 primers
All cases had flash tube installed.
Extra long seating - out to touching the rifling.

96gr Ramshot Magnum - Hornady 225 gr SP Interlock - 2822 FPS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
89gr RL-22 Hornady 225 gr SP Interlock - 3068 FPS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
92gr IMR-7828 Hornady 225 gr SP Interlock - 3094FPS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
87gr IMR-7828 - 250 SMK - 2877
88gr IMR-7828 - 250 SMK - 2891

The RL-22 load 'may' have been a little stiff on bolt opening all other cases extracted with no effort. No cases indicated excessive pressures in any way.

Initial observation/comparison w/Win Mag is that with these same velocities case extraction was always hard.

Nathanial,

What kind of velocity does that load produce in your rifle?

I'm having a personal hard time justifying anything less than 250 grains in the 338 RUM. It just seems that's the way it ought to be........ However, I'll shoot whatever shoots best.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.