338 rum load help

mtbohunter

Hello men,
I am putting together some loads for a new 338 rum I purchased. Its a XCR with 26" tube.
I have been leaning toward Retumbo because it is said to be temp stable, I live in MT and it can be in the 50's or below 0 during elk season and I want to keep as much consistency in a load as I can. (is there any other powders that work like Retumbo for temp stability??)
Next thing, I am looking at 225gr Hornady Interbond's for the accuracy, consistency, and controlled expansion on game (At least that's what they're advertising and that what I am reading in articles) I have never used interbonds. I really like Barns as well, but the Hornady's seem to be getting better press for long range accuracy and they're a lot less expensive.
If anyone has advise on this load, or another temp stable powder, please share!

I am working on one of those rifles now. Mine is the later XCRII and is getting a new stock. But it is a 338 RUM with a 26" barrel. BnG and I have already installed a really nice Holland Brake and it came out very nice with the smaller barrel contour. This is going to be a designated elk rifle for out to 800 yards. It is getting bedded, a trigger and a Viper PST 6~20 .25 MOA / MOA second focal plane scope.

The load will be Rem Brass with a CCI 250 primer and H-1000 powder. H-1000 has passed the Montana temp test durring elk season with all our elk rifles to well past 1100 yard one shot kills. The bullet will be a 300 SMK or 300 Berger OTM Hybrids. If the rifle was going to be used past 1000 it woulf be the Bergers all the way. The 300 SMK's have taken elk for me as close as 150 and as far as 1100 but the Bergers simply hold a tighter group and buck wind better way out there. Both will down an elk where he stands.

I know you are looking at smaller bullets, but I thought I would share what we are doing as it is the same rifle. We like big bullets to put the elk down fast, and we never know when that MT. wind will be a factor. We even shoot 230's in my sons 300 win.

Jeff

Agree with above post. 300gr all the way. Havent tried the VLDs yet but have had great accuracy and knock down power with the MKs. I have a Defensive Edge 338 Rummy that is a serious butt kicker!

Hello men,
I am putting together some loads for a new 338 rum I purchased. Its a XCR with 26" tube.
I have been leaning toward Retumbo because it is said to be temp stable, I live in MT and it can be in the 50's or below 0 during elk season and I want to keep as much consistency in a load as I can. (is there any other powders that work like Retumbo for temp stability??)
Next thing, I am looking at 225gr Hornady Interbond's for the accuracy, consistency, and controlled expansion on game (At least that's what they're advertising and that what I am reading in articles) I have never used interbonds. I really like Barns as well, but the Hornady's seem to be getting better press for long range accuracy and they're a lot less expensive.
If anyone has advise on this load, or another temp stable powder, please share!

I have been reading a lot about temperature stability of powders and long range shooting (+800yards). I get it and understand having velocity equal to your known is huge stuff at long distance. I use a lot of Hodgdon "Extreme" powders and Retumbo is awesome.
That being said I will go with what ever powder is the most accurate period for a particular rifle and load. I carry four shells in my inside pocket at a almost 70 degrees temp regardless of outside temp. If I am shooting at an animal long range I have more then enough time to swap out cartridges and take the shot. If not long range the velocity difference if any will not matter.
Just my view and approach to the velocity drop concern for long range hunting.

I am working on one of those rifles now. Mine is the later XCRII and is getting a new stock. But it is a 338 RUM with a 26" barrel. BnG and I have already installed a really nice Holland Brake and it came out very nice with the smaller barrel contour. This is going to be a designated elk rifle for out to 800 yards. It is getting bedded, a trigger and a Viper PST 6~20 .25 MOA / MOA second focal plane scope.

The load will be Rem Brass with a CCI 250 primer and H-1000 powder. H-1000 has passed the Montana temp test durring elk season with all our elk rifles to well past 1100 yard one shot kills. The bullet will be a 300 SMK or 300 Berger OTM Hybrids. If the rifle was going to be used past 1000 it woulf be the Bergers all the way. The 300 SMK's have taken elk for me as close as 150 and as far as 1100 but the Bergers simply hold a tighter group and buck wind better way out there. Both will down an elk where he stands.

I know you are looking at smaller bullets, but I thought I would share what we are doing as it is the same rifle. We like big bullets to put the elk down fast, and we never know when that MT. wind will be a factor. We even shoot 230's in my sons 300 win.

Jeff
Jeff, i purchased an older 338 rum sps nib that ws won several years ago at a gun bash. First i had a de brake installed along with a b&c alaskian stock then a rifle basix replacing the x trigger along with a wyatt box. I wanted it as a back up elk rifle to my edge but wanted something slimmed down weight wise. I chose the sieera 250 grain bt spitzer. I started out testing with 95,96, and 97 graind of h-1000. Everything that day sucked shooting as high a a 1 3/4 group at 100. I went back to basics seeing primer marks on the 97 grains so iloaded up with 96 grains. I than seated the bullet out farther and changed rest. I shot 3 3 shot groups that day one 900. 550, and a one group in the 3's. Later thinking i was having trouble with techinque on my one rest but putting things togeather a very impressing factory rife. I had a problem the other day i fired 2 shots touching than 3rd shot went inch low fired a fourth shot and cut that hole. Ileft barrel cool down and went back to first group so i think that was me. I just loaded up some 300 smk's this evening with 91 grains of h-1000 i thought maybe that light barrel would be tough to tame but im going to try the 300 any way. My normal load for the edge is 93 grains , do you think starting point with 91 would be okey?
Mike

do you think starting point with 91 would be okey?
Mike

Mike, no I don't. I feel you are going to be at least 2 to 3 grains hot. I would back off to mid 80's and work up. Especially with the newer hot lots of H-1000.

Mark those 91's and set them a side. Load one of each 85, 86, 87, 88 and work up. Better safe that sorry.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.