.338 RUM load for 160gr Barnes TSX ??

stcummingsjr

Need a little help……

I just finished shooting the .338 160tsx out of my Rem .338 RUM with a 24" barrel. My load started with 98gr. of RL-25 and I worked up to 100.8gr.
I used CCI 250 primers and seated the 160 at 3.65 OAL measured at the tip. They shot Ok, but when I measured my velocity it gave a reading of 1730 avg. with the chrony set a 10 ft WTH???? I shot two other guns through to check the chrony and they gave normal readings. What did I mess up? should i have seated the 160 deeper so the first ring is not exposed?

Has anyone had experience with this bullet out of a RUM and if so what could I tweak or change. I would love some help or some load info that I could work through.

or is it likely that I created this problem when shooting through my chrony...? and my reading are unrealistic?

Thanks Steve

Last edited:
Got a different chrony and all is fine. Velocity Avg is around 3265. I think a combination of an overcast/raining day combined with my test round being out of a .40 S&W caused my chrony to have issues. I think that conditions would allow it to read the slower round but did not have enough light to catch the higher velocity rounds in that setting.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts