.338 rum, help me narrow down the powders.

orangeride

I've got a .338 rum with a 27" kreigger, and a long Wyatt mag box. Most of my shots will be within 500 yards and none further than 750. I've settled on the 225 nab and I'll also mess with some 250 gr stuff. I've got some h-1000 on hand, retumbo, imr 7828ssc, re 22&25 and lastly some nv 560. I don't really want to waste my barrel trying stuff that doesn't work. I do my load dev. In so ca, so it's warm. But all my hunting is wyoming and ak. So I need a powder that's not real sensitive to temp changes. I've heard that re 22&25 are bad for that. How is 7828, and nv560? I'm looking for top accuracy, but I'd like it to be fast. Thanks for the help. Aaron

I would look at RETUMBO, H 4831 sc and H 1000 with the 225 AB or the 250 AB.

Velocity is a little higher with Retumbo, but my hunting load accuracy is good to 1100
yards with the 225 grain Accubond and a max load (Not hard) of H 4831 sc.

Barrel length is 28" in this rifle for hunting.

J E CUSTOM

I am using Retumbo in mine, although that probably isn't of much help. I'm shooting the 300SMK, H-1000 has a strong following with the RUM & Edge cartridges & seems to be a good fit. Hodgdon Extreme powders have a great reputation for not being temp sensative, the RL's (22 & 25) are fairly sensative, although your loads from Cali will probably work here in WY, as they are worked up in warm/hot weather & shot here in WY where it is usually cooler, the pressure swing should be in a downward fasion. You may have to chrono in both places but that is a small matter, if it shoots the way you think it should, stick with it.

Thanks for the input guys . As the re22&25 is concerned, I'm more worried that I'll work up the load in ca, then find it's lost 150fps in wyo. That will throw my dope way off. Plus wyo has a way of being 80 one day and snowing the next! I really don't want to have to carry a crono.

I would look at RETUMBO, H 4831 sc and H 1000 with the 225 AB or the 250 AB.

Velocity is a little higher with Retumbo, but my hunting load accuracy is good to 1100
yards with the 225 grain Accubond and a max load (Not hard) of H 4831 sc.

Barrel length is 28" in this rifle for hunting.

J E CUSTOM
what vel are you getting with the 4831?

I like the 225 Barnes TTSX, here are some of my results.
Groups at 300 yds.
DSCN2011.jpg

Best group at 500 yds so far.
100_0119.jpg

Tarey

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice groups! I'm Gona have to try 4831. I'll be trying accurabond. How far off the lands would you start your testing?

The Barnes recommended .050 off the lands and that is where I loaded them. The Noslers I would start with .010 off the lands and see how it shoots. I shot 3 boxes of nosler 250's and couldn't get them to group in my rifle with 4 different kinds of powders and all sorts of seating depth's.
Stay away from the RL powders, the hotter it got here in Az. the hotter my test loads got. I have had no temp issues with H 4831SC they shoot the same place all the time.
Tarey

RL25 is excellent in the 338 RUM and Edge. H1000 and retumbo have alot of difference lot to lot.I get better accuracy,velocity and a better ES with RL25. I had to change my load 4 grs with H1000 from changing lots of powder !! Never again..

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.