338 RUM Data

Long Time Long Ranger

McMillan 016.jpg

McMillan 015.jpg

I shot my two best loads in my 338 RUM with the 225 grain .64 bc Cutting Edge bullet this morning. The rifle is a mod 700 remington SS which I bedded the action, put on a brake and a timney trigger. The velocity of the cutting edge bullets continues to exceed standard lead core bullets in my rifles with equal pressures. I have shot the 225 accubond in this rifle at 3220 fps max loads with excellent results in the past. The 225 CE bullet tested over 3300 fps this morning.

The two targets show my best two loads at 400 yards with the loads described on the targets with a OAL of 3.945". The Retumbo load shot 2.096" at 400 yards with velocities of 3325, 3330, 3321 fps and no pressure signs. The H-1000 load shot 3279, 3268 and 3264 fps with a 2.768" group at 400 yards. I would consider both of these as max loads with this bullet. The Retumbo load will be my hunting load with this rifle.

Thanks for posting up that data!! I'm hoping to get some rounds loaded this week sometime in a 338 RUM using the 252 gr CE's, Retumbo or H1000 are my go to powders in almost anything I load, any suggestion for a starting load?

Thanks for sharing your experience. The retumbo load looks like less vertical displacement as well. Good shooting. How do you ever decide what gun to take out hunting with everything you have lol?

I have several loads with magpro but it never got quite as much velocity in this cartridge before maxing out. I think the best was 97.5 grains with the 225 AB with magpro. I can look it up for you.

I can't decide which one to hunt with usually and basically just spread the love so they don't get to lonesome. This year I actually carried a different rifle on nearly every hunt. One hunt with several tags I actually took big game on the trip with three different rifles. This year I took animals from 800-1200 yards with 6-7 different rifles. I enjoy shooting all of them. Basically it depends on many factors as to which one I use on a particular hunt. I pick the one that best suits the hunt, weight/range/game,etc.

Thanks LTLR you dont have to look it up I saw it listed in one of my reloading books and was curious. I kind of figured it was a touch to fast a powder for that case and I knew you would be the man to ask. Thank you

LTLR, thanks for the info. I'm new to this site and appreciate the info. Im Having a PAC nor 26" barrel made for my factory rem 700 as we speak. Will be using it for hunting at close and long ranges up to 800-1000 yards. But most shots realistically will be 300-600 yards. Would you, or anyone else reading this, recommend the 225 accubonds, 250 accubonds, or 265 barnes lrx? Also which powder for the recommended bullet? Thanks in advance.

All three of those bullets shoot great in the 338 RUM and will take animals to your 1000 yards. H-1000 and Retumbo are the best powders for this because of their extreme temp rating and the burn rate is good for this cartridge. RE-25 will give excellent velocities and groups with the 225 grainers but people shy away from it because of the temp sensitivity. I keep my bullets in a pocket next to my skin until I shoot long range so temp really doesn't affect me. My bullets are always the same temp except the ones I keep in my magazine for closer quick shots where temp doesn't matter anyway.

I hope to keep this thread updated better in the future. I have just been hammered the end of last year and into this year with family emergencies, etc. I have quite a few bullets loaded to shoot any day when the weather gets better and will update this, the Mcmillan EOL Outdoorsman thread along with the 264 STW and 338-378 wby threads.

I had my lazer surgery follow up today in Billings and can now see through a scope and have been released by my doctor to shoot again. Going blind in my shooting eye is very scary. I could not see a 100 yard target through a 22 power Nightforce on the Mcmillan Outdoorsman two weeks ago. Thank goodness the doc fixed me up with a lazer and am now back to 20/20.

Magnum powder did not do well out of my RUM. I tried 265 ttsx, 250 AB, and 300 Bergers.

View attachment 6136

View attachment 6137

I shot my two best loads in my 338 RUM with the 225 grain .64 bc Cutting Edge bullet this morning. The rifle is a mod 700 remington SS which I bedded the action, put on a brake and a timney trigger. The velocity of the cutting edge bullets continues to exceed standard lead core bullets in my rifles with equal pressures. I have shot the 225 accubond in this rifle at 3220 fps max loads with excellent results in the past. The 225 CE bullet tested over 3300 fps this morning.

The two targets show my best two loads at 400 yards with the loads described on the targets with a OAL of 3.945". The Retumbo load shot 2.096" at 400 yards with velocities of 3325, 3330, 3321 fps and no pressure signs. The H-1000 load shot 3279, 3268 and 3264 fps with a 2.768" group at 400 yards. I would consider both of these as max loads with this bullet. The Retumbo load will be my hunting load with this rifle.
I am loading some 225 gr cutting edge d67s as we speak..out of a factory 338 rum, and also a full custom gun..custom gun has a mag of 3.820Wyatts...factory gun is 3.680....3.820 is perfect with the seal tite band...the factory gun is quite a bit deeper..Is that gonna be a problem...since the band is half way down the neck....should I change to an extended mag like the one mentioned earlier.around 3.90...Since you test these with my favorite caliber...you would know...also are you single feeding these, or do you have an extended mag...which would you recommend...thanks LTLRgun)

I use the D62 .64 bc 225 grain cutting edge. I single load them for my long range loads and have some seated deeper that will feed through the magazine for quick shots if needed. I don't have my OAL info with me but the D62 bullet will not come near feeding in a standard magazine. It is nearly as long as a 300 SMK. The CE bullets I have tested in several calibers and cartridges all would shoot well with the seal tight band seated into the case neck. Some even shoot better that way. Just depends on the rifle.

OAL 3.94", had it listed in the first post.

LTLR,

Have you shot much with the CE bullets? I thought I read where you shot some caribou. A buddy of mine shot some into wet phone books and the results weren't impressive at all. They went through a milk jug filled with water first and then 5 wet phone books. Every bullet tumbled after going through a few phone books. The hole going into the phone books was about caliber size until they tumbled.

These are 160gr 7mm's shot out of a .284win and the phone books were at 35yds.

Attachments

• CuttingEdge.jpeg
    CuttingEdge.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 85
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.