338 norma mag

walter351

Just curious what loads guys are using for this round. My gun is getting close to being completed and I thought I would collect a little load data. Let me know.

I should have pictures of my gun soon!

Details on components, and who is building it ?
DYODD, but I would try Retumbo in the 93gr range for the 300 SMK's.
Another good powder would be Vit N570

Both Ward Brien and Jim Sloan (the designer of the cartridge) suggest using Ramshot Magnum. 91.0 - 93.5 range with 300 SMK
That's where I will be starting as soon as I get all my parts together. Along with Retumbo and maybe H1000

My rifle is being built by Al Ewing. He is a local gunsmith and has held many records for shooting.

Rifle:
700 action, spiral fluted bolt
Jewell Trigger
Bartlien Barrel, Sendero contour, 1-10 twist
custom muzzle break - Al Designed the muzzle break.
H-S precision stock
Defensive edge check piece
Tubbs recoil lug

Scope:
Nightforce 5.5-22 x 56mm
Badger ordiance rings
EGW 20 moa base

I also have a manners stock but it is a little heavy. He has built other guns for me in the past and they shoot exceptionally well. He is also building a 338 norma at the same time so it will be nice to do load development with him.

Thanks for the replies. I am very interested in the Ram Shot powder as I have never used this powder before. I have used the others and I will be trying the retumbo for sure. I also have a lot of h-1000 as that is what my 264 Win mag likes. Thanks again

Last edited:
In the middle of load development...but have loaded several strings of H1000, Retumbo, and RSM at incremental charge weights.

H1000 is a touch quick (pressure before case capacity and velocity potential is reached)....

RSM is just about right on load density/pressure....

Retumbo will require you to use compressed loads to obtain the velocity of RSM...

Velocity wise, given equal pressures....H1000-slowest, Retumbo-next fastest, RSM-best velocities.

This is out of 27" barrel; longer barrel might do better by Retumbo, but for now it looks like RSM has the most promise. From what I can see, if you just had to use H1000, it looks like you might need to run 35-50 fps slower than what RSM or Retumbo could get you.

Looks like accuracy/pressure is going to come in around 2750 to 2800 fps for this 27" 10 twist Lilja.

I'll be interested to hear of anyone's results of temperature testing with RSM.

V570 looks like it would be interesting to try in this chambering.gun)

RSM and R-22 are the two Sloan advised that will reach top FPS before pressure. I couldn't find any RSM yet so I've been shooting R-22 with great accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.