338 Norma Mag Build Decisions?

CA48

Ive decided my next big 338 has to be a Norma mag. This rifle will primarily be used for prone position long range steel and some hunting that won't require me to carry it to far, so weight is not an issue, I'm thinking it will finish scoped around 15 to 16 lbs. After reading nothing but good range reports since 2008 I have become fascinated with this case design. The rifle will be built on a blue printed rem 700 receiver, and i would like to get some input from site members so I get this build right the first time.

Right now it has a pillar bedded HS Precision Sendaro II BDL stock, Wyatts single feed mag box, not sure if this will go on the new build or get replaced with a manners T5a and be mag fed. And on top will go the current Sightron SIII 6-24X50 mil dot reticule i have with Burris Sig rings. I will keep the current trigger I have a rifle basix 4-20 oz
First, my current bolt face is RUM diameter with a sako extracto,r and the bolt has a Grec-tan firing pin and spring assembly. Would it be easiest to get this bolt face opened up to .585 or would i be better off getting a PTG bolt?

As of now wanting to go with a Scheider barrel, polygon rifling 30 in, sendaro contour no flutes 1:9.3 twist. Not sure about the brake Ive been thinking muscle brake, defensive edge, or Kirbys painkiller. I have a Holland QD 4 port brake now and it works great but was just going to change it up a bit.

Where can I get the Jimmie Sloan reamer, PTG?

I haven't done much research on dies yet but, any opinions?

What powder and primer combo? I would prefer it is not temperature sensitive, at the moment my top pick is H-1000, also considering ramshot, RL22, and N570 but have never dealt with any of these except H-1000. Also not sure which one will provide the highest velocity while not being temperature sensitive, as I want to get all my components for the barrels lifetime at once, so I want to go with the best powder for my application. Which primer will suit me best federal mag 215 or CCI 250?

What kind of case prep are you 338 Norma Mag owners doing?

Lastly what smith, I'm in Texas so state local would be cool, I know there are a lot of top smiths in the state, I just cant choose at the moment. Plus I can think of about 10 other smiths out of state and on long range hunting forum. I would like a quick turn around time for the rifle as I know some of the top smiths have a year wait and I'm not sure if I cant make it that long haha. A quick turn around would be nice but is by no means a necessity. Also does anyone know the turn around time for Schneider barrels?

All opinions are appreciated and if I left any information out let me know.

Thanks, Chase

With your boltface build a 338 Edge. Its a no brainer.
I have had a 338 Norma, and also built a wildcat called 300 JAZZ on that brass, but with your existing action the EDGE is the way to go.

I had one built on a 700 action with a PTG bolt and it was as good as it gets, it drove tacks. My second one is a Pierce XL single shot that weighs in at 16.5 Lbs up and running. THe beauty of this cartridge is that you only need a 26" Barrel the gains past 26" are not worth it. Mine runs a 300 SMK right at 2800fps and is a pleasure to shoot.

Ramshot Magnum will give top speeds and often times great accuracy. R-22 ran 2nd in speed 2750 FPS with tight groups and H-1000 hit pressure before I got any speed out of it but at 2700 fps it shot bug holes 1/4 moa.

My Ramshot load at 2800FPS shoots in the mid .3's

If you want to stay with a smith in Texas I would look at Mikes Guns many of Sloans early rifle came out of that shop and he has plenty of experience with the cartridge.

Scot E
Thanks I have read that thread a few times, good thread.
Those were a few of the smiths out of many I was considering.

trueblue
I thought about that also as the action still has my 338 EDGE AI
bbl why not just re barrel to the EDGE. But since its just a a matter
of opening up my bolt face or getting a PTG bolt I'm going to go
with the Norma. How did your 338 Norma perform?

Rimfire
What is the difference between the PTG bolt. Does it have a larger diameter bolt body?

From what I have read Ramshot seems the way to go thanks for sharing. Do you know if this powder is temp stable?

Mikes guns was one of my top choices for that reason.

I sold a DTA SRS in 338 Norma to a customer a few weeks back. He's been very happy with it. Norma is a heck of a good cartridge and doesn't really find itself lacking much.

That being said, my sway shifts toward 338LM simply because of availability for non-handloaders and lots of industry support.

I run a 285 hornady hybrid out of my 26" DTA at 2800fps. Hard to complain with that kind of performance.

Scot E
Thanks I have read that thread a few times, good thread.
Those were a few of the smiths out of many I was considering.

trueblue
I thought about that also as the action still has my 338 EDGE AI
bbl why not just re barrel to the EDGE. But since its just a a matter
of opening up my bolt face or getting a PTG bolt I'm going to go
with the Norma. How did your 338 Norma perform?

Rimfire
What is the difference between the PTG bolt. Does it have a larger diameter bolt body?

From what I have read Ramshot seems the way to go thanks for sharing. Do you know if this powder is temp stable?

Mikes guns was one of my top choices for that reason.

Your .532 face can be opened put it is a PITA, by the time you get to .585 the extrctor cut is not removed all the way and has to be dealt with which takes extra work. I would sell it and get a PTG. You can order a bolt to fit or have the action reamed.

I would send the action to Ger-Tan and have it reamed, The standard reamer is .705" then you can order a one piece bolt at .702- .703 tight fit or what ever clearance you want. Talk to Greg order the bolt and send him the bolt and action he will ream it and check the fit / once over.

Ramshot is showing to be fairly stable. So far no major problems. This rifle likes it and at 2800 FPS with a 300 SMK in the mid 3's there is no need to touch it. I have a couple of targets 2" or slightly under at 500. It just shoots

The rifle almost never gets shot on paper or a bench, it spends it time on steel targets and culling deer and works great for both:)

orkan,
The DTA SRS looks like a great system, very practical. The
338 Lapua mag would be the way to go for non-hand loaders
as there are much more factory options. I decided on the Norma
because I can stick with my 700 action and seat the 300s out with
out loading single shot like I was with my EDGE. Although I had the Norma
and Lapua on the balancing beam, it was a tough decision for
A while. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Rimfire,
Thanks, going with a new bolt is clearly the best decision.

It's important that I have a temp stable powder because in
the winter it's gets in the low 20s then over 110 in the summer.

I have the same plans for my rifle! Going to be running the 300
Berger hybrids.

Well went searching for some brass and no luck.
Any body know where to find brass?

Norma Brass | Brownells

Best bet is to stick it on back order somewhere and wait. When a manufacturer does a run, all the distributors will get a chunk. If you are on the back order list, the closer you are to the top the sooner you'll get it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.