338 Norma in Oregon

wagnshooter

Hello gentlemen,
I live in Oregon, but daydream of getting to move back to Montana where I grew up. I'm having Jense Precision build my 338 Norma. It's nearing completion so it's time for me to become an active participant here instead of a silent reader. The specs on my new rifle are
Defiance left hand action
Jewell trigger
Satern cut barrel with carbon fiber by ABS
Lone wolf tactical xt stock
Nightforce nxs 5.5x22x50
My overall weight with scope is less than 10 lbs
to reduce the pounding while at the range, I got a surefire 338 qd suppressor and break.

I've been hunting what I thought was long range for years, but nothing compared to what some of you guys can do. I've reloaded 300 mag and 300wsm with good results. Over the last 8 months I've found some starting points for reloading the 338 norma. I'm hoping to get an update on what people are finding as their best powder for this rifle? And yes, I'll start light and work my way up.
Thanks
Cullen

I a glad to have you on board. Like you I just thought I was shooting long range at 600yds for some of these guys that is the short range start.

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here. That's a pretty good first post.

You've built yourself a nice rifle although the it seems the bolt will be on the wrong side :D. With the 338Norma you will certainly be able to shoot waaaaaaay over there.

Although I have no particular experience with the 338Norma, I would think that your go-to powders will be H1000 and/or Retumbo. The Hodgdon extreme powders tend to be better than others because of their temperature stability.

In terms of bullets, the 300grainers (SMK and VLD hybrid) are the 'standard', you might want to consider some of the good 225 or 250 grain bullets. They still have good BCs and will lower the felt recoil.

Thanks for the welcome guys,

Trebark, I have both powders you mentioned and decided to start with the Retumbo. I'm going with the 300 SMK until by backordered VLD's come in. Apparently everyone on this site has VLD's ordered. I've had a box on backorder for months through Brunos. Does anyone have them in stock?

Has anyone come up with accurate velocities for this one yet? I read a lot of conjecture about how it was going to compete with the Lapua, but didn't find any followup reports verifying it so far. Is over 2800 fps possible for this cartridge with 300 grainers.

I guess I'll find out soon enough!

Thanks for the welcome guys,

Trebark, I have both powders you mentioned and decided to start with the Retumbo. I'm going with the 300 SMK until by backordered VLD's come in. Apparently everyone on this site has VLD's ordered. I've had a box on backorder for months through Brunos. Does anyone have them in stock?

Has anyone come up with accurate velocities for this one yet? I read a lot of conjecture about how it was going to compete with the Lapua, but didn't find any followup reports verifying it so far. Is over 2800 fps possible for this cartridge with 300 grainers.

I guess I'll find out soon enough!

A quick google search revealed that 2800 is a possiblity with the 338norma although 2750+ seemed what most people were getting with a 26" barrel. Given that the 338norma has the smallest case capacity of the 338s (laupa or edge), I would think (read: guessing) 2750 would be a good number. Shawn Carlock regularly reports 2850 with 300smk in the 338edge (the 338 cartridge with the largest case capacity). Don't take my word for it though. I'm just working off the top of my head.

338 Norma Magnum - Sniper's Hide Forums

Now that I think about it, there is a 338-378weatherby. Not sure of the case capacity there. It might be bigger than the edge.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.