• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

338 Norma and 338 Lapua brass

Mike D Texas

I know both of these can be difficult to find and aren't cheap but I'm trying to decide on my next project.

I would like to buy 5 pieces of each if you can spare some.

EDIT: I would also like (10) Berger Hybrid OTM 300 grain bullets as well.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I think you are going through the same dilemma as I did as evident of your post here and LRO. I went with NMI over LMI because of the 4.00" COAL requirement of LM to take advantage of the long/heavy bullets. Good luck!

Ed

I think you are going through the same dilemma as I did as evident of your post here and LRO. I went with NMI over LMI because of the 4.00" COAL requirement of LM to take advantage of the long/heavy bullets. Good luck!

Ed
Yeah I know. I just keep looking at the ballistics in .338 and keep feeling like I will be leaving something on the table if I don't go with the Lapua. My goal would be 3000fps with a 300 grain OTM and I won't get there even with an improved Norma but I should with an improved Lapua.

The decision would be a lot easier if I had gone with the BAT action to begin with.

What about a 33xc?
Not familiar with it. I'll look into it.
I were to case a 4"+ COAL, that would be a route I'd take. My gunsmith has one.

It's David Tubb's baby.

And if it's anything like the 6xc I bet it's a hammer!

Mikey, I love my Lapua. I'll send you 20 pieces of Hornady brass free of charge. Don't have any 300s though.

So I've been playing around in Quickdesign and Quickload for the last 2 hours and I may can see the benefit of the Norma over the Lapua, or rather the Lapua doesn't offer enough gains over the Norma for the perceived negatives that come with it.

338 LMI 40°, 28" barrel, 300 OTM, 3.950"
106.4 grains N570 (103% case fill) 2926fps 63,861 psi (this is almost 3k psi over CIP of 60,961 PSI.)

338 NMI 40°, 28" barrel, 300 OTM, 3.750"
96.6 grains N570 (105% case fill) 2879fps 63,861 psi (this is at CIP max pressure)

So in my mind, the negatives are:
  • Only ~50fps gain with 10 more grains of power and exceeding CIP max pressure.
  • 3.950" vs 3.750" COAL. There are limited options on both actions and magazines that can accept a 3.950" cartridge. I can use a standard M5 CIP DBM with the Norma at 3.750 or if I wanted to stay internal I could use the Wyatt's CF-12 box and M5 BDL bottom metal.
Since my current action cannot accept a 3.950" cartridge this seems to make the Norma the right choice for me.

If you're not after the most velocity absolutely possible 338 Norma/NMI is definitely worth a good look. Very accurate and forgiving.