338 lm ar-30

BlackSS

Anyone have any experience with Armalite's AR-30 in 338 Lapua?
Other than being a little long & heavy it seems like it is actually a reasonable gun.
From what I've seen people generally wind up shooting 1/2 - 3/4 MOA once they get a load dialed in. These do seem a bit touchy to having the correct ammo though.

Looking for actual opinions from those of you who have actually shot or owned one of these.

TIA

I have one and it flat out shoots great.

I shoot the 300 SMK's with a charge of retumbo. 300 yards groups of under 1.5 inch.

I duracoated the coplete rifle in Tactical black and Tactical olive drab green.

Made a custom 50MOA rail.
I made a single shot follower
I also took the bottom of the buttstock tig welded and angle piece of aluminum to make it ride the bad better. then repainted it.

Oh by the way this is for sale in two weeks if your lookin for one ;)

I did the breakin/ load development for a friends four years ago. The first thing I said to myself when he brought it to me was "WHY". After I was done all I could say is "WHY THE HELL NOT"!!!!.

Break in) It took me 2 hours to clean after the first shot.....I don't stop till 10 min of soaking with strong copper remover shows no blue on patch. Lots of brushing and soaking. After breakin + a few more it cleaned up in 15 - 20 min...including 10 min of soaking.......baisicly one cycle of wetpatch (butches bore shine), brush with lots more of same, 10 min soak, and dry patch. Done. Once in a while I would add a 10 min soak with copper cleaner...mayby every 3 cleanings. Cleaned up as good as any factory, and a few custom, guns i have used.

Accuracy)......Simply amazing......I kept all of the test targets for a long time. it looked to me like the worst it shot was around an inch/100. Everything seemed to work. Now, all I used was Seirra 250 MK/s....he had 500 of them from another Lapua. Also H1000 and RL 25 was all I tried, also. I did find out that the gun just isn't ment to be shot off of a front rest. Best results for me was off of a bypod and rear bag. The muzzle break was amazing.......BUT.....I can not imagin hunting with out ear protection!! lightbulb

It is heavy, but for his use it worked well.

I think that it was money well spent!!!

I have one as well... great for hunting open terrain. Mine has taken elk, mulies and a number of oryx (ideal for them!)

Mine shoots verywell with 89 gr of RL 25 and 300 SMKs... have not experimented beyond that since it shoots Great!

Heavy, unwieldy and dangerously loud, but i have humped it for mile in the mountains on hunts. I keep ear protection around my neck ready to put in place before a shot

What does the rifle actually weigh?
I believe I've seen 12 lbs but don't know how accurate that is.

If 12 lbs is correct that's really not unreasonable. Granted I wouldn't want to hike with it for 10 miles but that's not too bad...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.