338 laupa or 300 ultra

That picture was a Sako TRG42 338 lapua. Snipers hide had a group buy a while back for 2250. Look them up new at eurooptic.com start @$2600 new. Most shoot 1/2-3/4 moa. I want one for a practice, rig gun. Save my expensive ABS barrel on my packer.I think that is alota gun for the price, 60 degree short bolt throw, like a Weatherby, which I like.2 stage trigger,DBM, think it holds 5?brake, adjustable trigger and stock. Down side bit heavy @ 11 3/4 #. I would like to get one ,shoot it out and then Imp. it, dump a few 6x6 on the way:D

Lets talk about the two calibers you named here. 338 LM and 300 RUM.

Since you said elk hunt I will say 338 LM and list some reasons why. Sure the 300 RUM is a good elk rifle too but here is what I like better about the 338 LM.

Are you a re-loader? 338 LM has the best brass available by far.

Barrel life will be longer in the 338 LM.

I would assume longer distances are on the menu so the 338 trumps again especially past 1000 yards.

Elk tend to hang in states that can be pretty windy, I will take a 338 on a windy day every time.

Also if you get the 300 RUM you will still want a 338 LM down the road, so why not go for the big dog and be done.

Jeff

Exactly what Jeff said. I have a 300RUM and wish it were a 338. It may be by the end of the year.

I can see that people are trying to give you some crap about wanting to buy a new gun, but I know exactly where you are coming from. I'm only 22 yrs old and I wanna buy as many as I can get my hands on. I have a .300 win mag that I've put a lot of time and effort into and it's a 700yd gun all day and all I want to do is buy a bigger one to keep adding to the collection.
Don't let those grumpy know-it-all's tell you that you already have the right calibers and what not. Go pick one out that you like and add it to the collection. Whatever you do, don't sell any of your old ones! I'm gonna build a .338 lapua next and I'm super excited. They have awesome ballistics and they are a blast to shoot. Once I started getting into long range shooting it opened up a whole new world for me. I enjoy target shooting long distances just as much as I like hunting. It's a whole lot of fun and a great hobby to get into and a .338 lapua is an awesome rifle for long range shooting (and killing :)).
Just remember, we are all just kids trying to get more toys

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.