338 Lapua Zero Help

Was the bullet touching the inside of the brake? I would think it would have to be as all I have read or heard is that anywhere from .005" bullet clearance on the brake to .020 or .040"(cant remember) there is little to no effect on accuracy. Larger than that then accuracy goes in the crapper. Interesting, id like to know the full details if there is in fact any more than stated? hum

the brake was .005 overbore and it was just too tight and caused horrible accuracy. The gun smith opened it up to .020 over bore and magically it started to cloverleaf groups at 200 yards.

Good day, Couple of things I wanted to add. At longer ranges barrel harmonics might be an issue here and then there is my 300 Win Mag Story.
I purchased a Sendero Remington 700 Fluted Heavy barrel 300 Win mag some years back. My extreme Friend and I took it to the range. It has a Nightforce 5.5-22-56 Scope on it and after break in we started trying to zero the rifle. it would not hold a Group. the other rifles with us were stacking rounds and the mirror image rifle my friend had also purchased was as well. My bud a scout sniper type was getting pretty mad at this point and we decided to call it a day. I went to see Frank and Joe at Great Northern Guns here in Anchorage to tell the story. Frank and Joe had me take the rifle to a gun smith at precision arms. Vince the owner took the rifle and said he would call me in a day or so. Well he called and was like you will not believe it. So I went over and the scope mount holes in the receiver were drilled crooked. it was not apparent till you put a straight edge on it and it was bad. with some extreme Pressure from Joe Remington took the rifle back and replaced the receiver and barrel . Then the rifle hits shell casings at 300 yards. So that is another area where something that you might not even notice can mess up the pudding.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.