338 lapua sako

pressman

2 of my friends just ordered 338 lapua sako's . they paid i think about 3,000.00 for just the gun. they keep telling me that i need one also. but for that kind of money i think i could get a custom built gun to out shoot it. or am i just kidding myself. has anyone one on here shot one of these?? are they really that great??
I have been putting some money back so i could get a 338 edge from Shawn . i just need to figure out all of the options.

This is truely the best web place to be. all of you on here are so helpful to everyone. even the negative usually has a positive side.

thanks guys.

2 of my friends just ordered 338 lapua sako's . they paid i think about 3,000.00 for just the gun. they keep telling me that i need one also. but for that kind of money i think i could get a custom built gun to out shoot it. or am i just kidding myself. has anyone one on here shot one of these?? are they really that great??
I have been putting some money back so i could get a 338 edge from Shawn . i just need to figure out all of the options.

This is truely the best web place to be. all of you on here are so helpful to everyone. even the negative usually has a positive side.

thanks guys.

I really like Sako/Tikka's but for that kind of money, if it was me, I'd go custom. There are a lot of good gunsmith's on this site who could help you out - Shawn being on of them. The only down side to going custom is that you might have to wait longer to get your gun.

Paul

CUSTOM!! All the way friend. When you get to the range they'll get schooled! Plus you can custom pick every single feature. Shawn'll do a Lapua too.

Go custom, you can have the gun set up for you and get the barrel set up for what bullet your shooting. Show up to the range with a good custom and they'll be asking you who built it and how they can get one.

Those Sako's look pretty sweet, but do they have an accuracy guarantee?
Kirby built my EDGE. It still has the factory laminate stock (bedded) and trigger (lightened), but the action was worked over, lug replaced and has a 30" braked Lilja installed. With a $1200 Leupold, and Seekings rings & base I have a little over $3000. I went out last weekend after remounting the scope and shot two 1/2" groups in a row @ 200 yards.

Custom...get more for your money.

A buddy of mine has a .338 Lpaua TRG and it is a great rifle.

I have a custom rifle built 339 Lapua Improved on a Stiller action, broughton barrel, manners stock, rifle basix erv-3 trigger, brake, etc. for you guess about $3000.00.
Put together by a top notch smith, very precisely.

The best way to put it into perspective is that my 5 shot groups are the same size as his 3 shot groups. Very small.

Plus, the resale on the custom is way better.

Seems we forget that custom or not, any rifle can wind up being a tack driver for 50.00 or you could end up with a 3000.00 paper weight. What I mean is even though you spend a ton of moola on a set up, sometimes it just doesn't work.
Bu then other times YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO what a sweet thing:D.
Anyway, my custom rifle maker is Greg Tanner in CO, www.[B]gretanrifles[/B].com
& no, I have never had a bad shooter from him & I use him because I believe if I ever did, he would stand behind it.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.