.338 lapua mag

patrick021

looking to shoot berger bullets for hunting and some target shooting in a .338 lm any suggestions on where to start?

Lapua brass, H-1000 start at 88 gr and work up. A CCI 250 mag primer and seat them .015" off the lands. That should be a good starting place, let me know how it works out.

Jeff

what is a good grain bullet to start with?

Sorry, my load above was for the 300 gr. Berger OTM Hybrid. But would also work with a 300 gr Sierra Match King with some seating depth tuning.

I should have posted it in my first post but I always think 300 gr with a 338 Lapua.

Jeff

h-1000, retumbo, rl-25, rl-33, ramshot magnum, all will work rl-25 should get you the most speed and should be very accurate. Fed 215 primers remington 9 1/2 or cci 250 should all work well. All I have shot is 300 grain bergers and smk's so that what I would look at.

I went with the new Nosler AccuBond 300grain beasts (supposedly 0.720 BC). Mainly because most of my hunting is done with either Partition for close up or AccuBond for medium to long range. I'm kind of in the same boat as you, so we can help each other out on the load. I will say that Broz is right in line with what I'm trying.

Here's the first 25 rounds will be until I find what works best for my setup:
  • CASES: Lapua Brass (this brass is worth every penny)
  • PRIMERS: Federal Gold Medal GM215M Large Magnum Rifle match primers
  • BULLETS: Nosler AccuBond 300 grain bullets
  • POWDER: Hodgdon H1000 powder
    • Test Rounds 1-5: 88.0 Grains
    • Test Rounds 6-10: 88.5 Grains
    • Test Rounds 11-15: 89.0 Grains
    • Test Rounds 16-20: 89.5 Grains
    • Test Rounds 21-25: 90.0 Grains
  • LANDS: As Broz mentions you will need to play with your lands as well. I am going to be trying somewhere between 0.015 and 0.025
What muzzle velocity and energy are you "shooting" for? What type of shooting/hunting? What is your experience level at reloading and LRH? These are the questions I have been looking at myself. I plan to chrony up each of the test shots and will do a full report sometime before the end of the year (hopefully).

Good luck and have fun!

So I want to try some Bergers as well but I do not know the difference. I looked for hunting and can not seem to really find these. WHat color box and what is the exact name of the bullets?? By the way, hunting is what I want to use them for and I want to try to work up a load...
Thanks
mario

I am new to this blog.

I've been cross canyon shooting at elk since the early 1980s with my .338/.378 WBY through a 36" Boska barrel. That was before Ken Lilja opened his shop. I am interested in learning more about the .338 Lapua and the .338-.404 Express.

Are those two calibers better for higher velocity at 800 yards and longer than the .338/.378 WBY?

Thanks

I will say no

The 338 UltraMag and 338/378 Wby both are about equal in performance to the 338 Lapua if all things are equal .....and the 340 Wby not far behind.

The Lapua with good BC bullets around 300 gr is a great long range gun

I have one of the new Rem 700 tact for 2013 moose season

So I ran into another problem. Everyone is out of H-1000 and retumbo. I saw previously the reloader 22 and other will work. Never tried it and wanted to see what others think about the different powders. Been very happy with the 1000 and returner In terms of ease of work up. Velocities are very constant as you reach the "sweet spot".
Do you get this with the others?
I noticed that the vhitivuri powder my loads that came with the gun use have a HUGE spread of velocities. At 100 yards not a biggie but fearful as I start trying to push them out. Thoughts??

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts