.338 Lapua, Mag primers?

A/C Guy

I was wondering if everyone is using magnum primers in their .338 Lapua. Has anyone tried, or does anyone use standard primers? If you tried it, what did you find is different compared to reloading with the mag primers? I figured that I would ask for first hand experience before experimenting.

I have never done it and never will. The Federal 215 Large magnum rifle primer was developed for the 338-378 wby and large capacity cases like it. In cold temperatures you need that super hot primer to get all that powder going. In warmer temperatures I believe any magnum primer is sufficient in fact now days they may all be. But I think you definatly need to stay with Magnums I am not sure a standard large rifle primer will ignite the powder efficiently. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject will chime in but that is the Meat of it.

In addition to what Tikkamike said, I've heard that the Fed 215 is a bit hotter than the Match primer. This knowledge was gained by personal experience. Not my experience but from one who is very experience.

Thus that's all I use in the larger magnum cartridges.

Informative post Tikkamike!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts