338 lapua loads?

jdg33

I just bought a AR-30 in 338 Lapua. I'm new to the long range thing but I've reloaded for several years. Any load recomendations for this thing. I have a bunch of of 225g interbonds that i typically shoot out of my 338-06. Would these work OK? I'm planning on buying some SMK's also, do you recommend 250's or 300's.

Thanks,
Bb

I am working on one now. Will let you know in a few days what she likes. The first one I did liked RL25 but I think with 225's it would prefer RL22 instead. A friend of mine has had good luck with N165.

BTW, good to hear from you again. Whatya been up to?

Thanks for the info everyone. when I get some time I'll start working up some loads. I haven't even received the rifle yet. However, I am in the possession of my new 264 and should be working up some loads this weekend. I may give the 130g AB a whirl. I found a limited edition 700 CDL SF with a 26" fluted 264 barrel on it and the new Xmark pro trigger. I'm thinking a 130g AB at 3300 ought to be good for deer and speed goats out to 800 or 900 yards.

As far as the 338 goes, I did notice that the 225 Ab has a lot higher BC than the 225 interbond. I've got 400 225 interbonds on the bench but I may just save them for the 338-06. The reality is that I don't think the AR-30 will get to go big game hunting anyways. I don't think it will make weight for Idaho once it's scoped etc... It may be just a varmint gun for me so I might just stick with MK's.

Bb

GG- After I finished grad school I moved back to Idaho, Rexburg this time. I'm down on the weekends sometimes. Do you still work at the same place? My rock chuck spot near Burley has been pretty good this spring. I made a couple of hits at 500+ with my VLS 260 and 140g SMK's. I know that's nothing to you guys but I'm working my way up.

Bb

Not much anymore. Too dang busy with the business. I still creep in there once in awhile though!

Rexburg now huh. That is a nice place but there are a few loonies running around there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I haven't been out for chucks once this year. USually by the first of June I would have at least 70 dead ones. I guess I have lots of catching up to do but as I said, we have just been too busy this year.

Actually, as I write this, I'm staring out my window looking at SNOW! It snowed here today and I'm sure the chucks weren't happy about that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.