338 lapua loading help

dino foss

Hi guys Im a newbe so try to take it easy on me. I just bought a 338 lapua savage 111 hunting rifle. I am struggling to say the least to get loading info. I am a new handloader so I dont feel comfortable going outside of posted load data from the manufactures so that leaves me to this site. My experience in hunting is decent, I am predominately a high country alpine hunter so shooting at longer ranges is required. I usually shoot a 300 saum by Remmington but decided to step up and shoot a lapua. I am looking for a load that will be good for this application' the range I need to get out to is 500 to 800 yards. I know some will say the short mag is enough but my experience tells me different. I have chosen this caliber because I often see elk also at this range. Any load data on a good hunters bullet would be great for this rifle.

300 Berger OTM, CCI 250 and start with 89 gr of H-1000 and work up slowly 1/2 gr at a time. Proven elk load for the 338 LM with several elk down in one shot. These bullets will put them down now, without the wory of a pencil through.

Jeff

how about a recipe for the 285 g barnes. This seems to be the easiest bullets for me to buy here.

in my opinion no but others will tell you different again have you looked at the 280 branes lrx?

Last edited:
I found a place with lots of berger 300 otm hybrids, are these worth a try?

Well, you have already had two guys that take manyelk every year post telling you to use them. But only if you want elk dead and down now. We have taken many elk with them to 1000 yards already. My wife took hers last season with my 338 LM @ 816 yards. I have yet to see a need for a follow up shot or any tracking with them. I can not say that about a solid copper bullet.

Jeff

Riley, there is no "****ing match" I am simply telling the OP that asked about using the 300 Bergers at 800 yards my experience with both bullets on elk. If you have taken elk at these distances with a different bullet with good results then you should post your personal experiences. If you have shot elk with a 300 Berger OTM and had a bad experience then by all means post it too, just like I did about the solids. This is what this forum needs, personal real world experiences. Not what someone read somewhere else, or a friend or uncle said, or what they think or like. We all want to hear what happened in the field when someone uses the actual bullet in the weight and caliber the OP asked about.

Jeff

Dino, I have a handful of friends that shoot 338, many where using the SMK, and are now using the OTM.My rifle which is slightly shy of a Lapua, packs 2291 energy at 1000 and accurate.With that rifle you will find that 800 is not a barrier with practice and good reloading technique

Thanks guys all input is appreciated, I have used Barnes ttsx in my short mag and the rifle loves them but I dont trust the bullet past the 500 mark. I took a stinky old muley last year at 480yards, when I recovered the bullet it looked like I could of reused it in my rifle again. I havent ruled out the barnes yet but they are tougher to get a hold of than the Berger or Smk's so I will be trying them out first.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.