338 lapua imp. at long range

steeltraps

Got my new 338 lapua imp from gunsmith thursday, here are the specs and results. 338 lapua imp =Mcree stock ,50 moa custom base,Bartlein cly. bore 28 inch barell, nightforce rings, Jewell trigger, 5x22x56 mlr nightforce, and harris bipod. Fire forming RL-33 gives me 3025 fps with a 12 es for 10 rds. So far 3/8 moa rifle. I think when i get my brass formed it will end up being 1/4 moa capable. Started at 600 yards gave 2.7 inch groups. At 1000 yards i shot a group of 3.922 inchs. At 1225 yards i shot right at 6 inchs 5 shot groups. Moved to 1600 yards . Rock busting time. 75/58/29.20 into exbal gave me 42.50 moa Only needed 42 moa. Recaculate in angle, and went to 2000 yards rock, 64 moa worked out perfectly. Banged the rock very well because of next to no wind, only usinf 2 moa of wind. My quess is around 1 moa group wise, from milling rock. Next after shooting my remington 338 lapua mlr at 2000 . I moved to my longest shot i ever took. 2502 yards. 101 moa . With a custom 50 moa base, i have 98.75 minutes i can dial before hold over kicks in. Took me 3 shots but i hit the large rock! With a 4.4 second flight time , you can self spot . I got 5 out of 10 shots in about what appears to be 1 1/2 moa from milling it! Not great ,but now i have got to 2500 yard!!! Happy with new rifle so far. Gun was a little hot. I hade a great time. Shot around 70 rds of 300 gr otm bergers in about 4 hours time. Also shot my 260 and 284 shehane at 1600 yards while i was waiting for my new gun to cool off! Next time i am in north alabama at my range im going for 2650 yards! I cant wait to get back with my fire formed brass 2502 yards is farther than i have ever shot at rocks before yesterday! I cant wait to try 2650 yards! Its going to be a long wait for next weekend. Im going to be thinking about it all week, cant wait to try out 2650 yards!!!gun)

My chambering in 338 lapua imp. is 370 with zero freebore. That gives me 5 th with a 365 loaded round. Not exactly tight neck but tighter than sammi spec. I am running 105 grains of RL-33 and a 300 gr otm berger. Im getting 3025 fps lows es from 28 inch bartlein. Flat primers, no sign of ejector marks, tested in 80 degree weather. Had maybe 5 out of the 70 i fired that had supper lite ejector mark. Actual have to use magnifing glass to see it! Maybe im getting old:D. Those were probably when the gun was very hot. Shot 1 string of 15 rds in about 10 mins, so that could have been the light ejector marks! Going to test some h-1000 next. I just dont see a need to go faster, when i have 12 es for 10 shots, but may try just to see what the max for my gun will be. I keep you informed!gun)

Now, first off, there is no other person on the planet who is as anal as me. That being said......

You are getting GREAT velocity out of RL33.....even though they are only FF loads. You are getting GREAT ES out of RL33. You are getting SUPER GREAT accuracy out of RL33.

Why....WHY in the world would you try another powder?? I mean come on....3/8ths and near single digit ES at over 3000FPS....WITH ff LOADS.

Man...just wring out what you have to squeez the last bit of accuracy with RL-33 and let sleeping dogs lie!!!! :D Instead of time at the bench you could be out busting rocks/steel/critters at distances where most people (not us here, of course) would call you a liar!!! lightbulb

I'm just sayin.....

Congrats!!
Tod

Thanks 4xforfun ! I am extremely anal about my reloading. Everything is sorted, weighted, and Ojive has to be the same own every load. I use Sartorius GD 503 scales and pvm-21 chronograph to a sure that loads are low ES! The last 4 re-barells have been Bartleins all have been GREAT! The reason for changing is i am haveing hard time finding RL-33. I got 2 cans for my 338 improved! I have 2 big 8lbs cans of h-1000 though. I really like h-1000 in the 7mm , 300, and my 338 lapua. Im just hoping for single digit ES and 3000 fps with H-1000. We shot last 28 rds at 24x36 in plate at 2000 yards this weekend. 70% at that range even in 8 to 11 mph flikky wind. I basicly just shot them up so i can try H-1000 with my newly fire -formed brass. If H-1000 doesnt work in single digit ES for 10 shots then i will settle for RL-33 then. If RL-33 doent workout for me , mybe someone will want 8lbs of H-1000!:D I will know by tomorrow morning!gun)

In my 338 Lapua IMP got sticky bolt with H1000 at 2950. Put in R33 and went 3070 and no pressure at all. Backed it down to 2993 because of first generation Berger. Gun has shot 4.250 5 shot group at 1000 with 105 R33 at 2993. Matt

Congrats on the rifle. My 338 LM Improved runs like a champ on RL-33 (also runs great on V.V.570 - as if you can ever find any of that). My load is 105.5 gr with roughly the same velocity as yours.

Jeffvn

Thanks guys. I have a good gunsmith. Every gun he bilds me seams to shoot great! The last 4 have had Bartlein barrels. I use to only run Kriegers. Then i got talked in to trying a Bartlein, and have been very satisfied with Bartlein.:D My Bartlein barrels seam to be running faster than my Kreiger builds in same caliber, anyone else have this experience? I have been working and have not had a chance to build any H-1000 loads. If i get achance and it doesnt rain i may load up some rounds and go to the hunting club to plant some soybean feilds and shoot at some rocks! I now have those 24x36 plates at 2000,2100,2200, and 2300 yards! The 1/4 inch plates still dent alittle at 2000 yards. The 1 i put up at 2300 yards, i slipped on some leaves and fell on the target and almost rode it down the mountain like a sled!:) I got it hung up on a treestand hook. If i can get a ARC-Angle Solution 150 moa base i may can get past 2500 yards. Right now at 2500 yards im using hold-overs on my MLR 5x22x56 nightforce! Cant wait for the weekend to get here!!gun)

In my 338 Lapua IMP got sticky bolt with H1000 at 2950. Put in R33 and went 3070 and no pressure at all. Backed it down to 2993 because of first generation Berger. Gun has shot 4.250 5 shot group at 1000 with 105 R33 at 2993. Matt

Where did you guys get your 338 Improved guns?

Thanks
Joden

Akiona, sorry I did not responed sooner. I have been busy setting tree stands , mowing clover fields, and other hunting club duties! My 338 imp. is 0 freebore .370 neck. PTG reamer. Stiller Tac 338 long action on Mcree stock, custom 50 moa base, Jewell trigger, Night force rings=high, Nightforce 5x22x56 MLR scope, Bartlein Cylder bore 28 inch barrel, Vortex scope level, and a custom built break. J.P PRECISION does all my rifle rebarrells= as in the barrel action, I do the rest my self. All rifles Jody Perry builds for me are usually 1/4 MOA guns! He has rebarrelled dozens of guns for me, a done at least that many builds for me as well. I could buy guns from GAP or anyone I chose . In fact I have Owned lots of big name gun makers guns and none shoot as good as the ones he builds. He is in ANNISTON ALABAMA, 45 minutes from my house. Has web site I think= J P PRECISION gun)

Thanks steeltraps. Looking for something in a no turn neck 338 lapua. Your setup sure works awesome. I have pretty much the same parts, laminated stock, 33" bartlein gain twist. Have had others with tight neck as well as AI improved. Non of which had zero free bore. Interesting results your having with yours. RL33 seems to be the ticket. Congrats on your build. Might have a my friend do the chambering depends. Or might just give your friend a call. Is that your reamer or his?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.