338 Lapua, hard to chamber

He's still got taper, but his shoulder dimension is over max. from the info I have. It may have been something out of center or similar though with a warn reamer causing it. A re-work of the chamber is what do after a casting to see what exactly the dimension issues are.

I got the Redding body die in today and immediately lubed up two cases. Ran them through the die with just a slight cam over. Didn't bother with headspace, I wanted to know if it was going to size the body. I noticed more resistance right of the bat compared to the forester FL die as I sized them. Not a lot, but some was defenitley there. I wiped them down after sizing them and ran them into the chamber. Bolt went down smooth as ice and back up. No stiffness. To double check I ran an unsized case in the chamber and once again, stiff bolt going down and back up. Lubed up the case, sized it, wiped it off, and voila, bolt movement was smooth as ice again. I didn't do any measurements since it's late, will go over it thoroughly tomorrow, but it looks like the issue has been resolved. The Forester die wasn't doing it's job. It almost acted like a neck sizing die. Thanks for all the help guys. I'm pretty sure this was the issue. I'll try to post the measurements tomorrow.:D

Good deal!! I have a feeling you are going to like using Redding competition dies. I use the body die and the comp neck die seperatly for my sizing. And I do both every time now. Nothing like getting them all to spec all the time.

Jeff

I use the redding body die and the neck sizing die and the micrometer seating die for 338 Lapua and because of the ease of use and speed the Lapua is my favorite cartridge to load for.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.