tvarden

Looking at putting together a 338 Lapua, here is what I'm thinking:
Stiller Tac338 Action
Jewell Trigger
Krieger 26" SS Flutted Barrel
Muscle Brake (3 port)
McMillan A5 Stock
Seekins Precision DBM

Any thoughts? Will be using it for hunting as well as punching paper. Wanting a 1000+ yards. Thinking of picking up all the pieces and parts over the next few months, then need a gunsmith to put it together.

Thanks,
Terry

Looks good. What twist are you planning on using? I am doing the same barrel just in 28 and probably want to shoot 250's mostly and a few 300's, so I think I'm going with the 10 twist.

Was thinking the same 1-10 twist. As will likely be hunting with 250gr Accubond Bullets, but would love to play with some 300gr bullets just to see how they compare at longrange.

I am doing almost the same exact, right now. My smith has the action barreled and working over the stock right now. I went 28", and threading it for my Thunderbeast suppressor. Pm me and when I get it done, will go out and We can shoot it. I live just north of Houston. Also if you are looking for a Gunsmith, I can hook you up. A couple of points about the stiller action. It is longer than the normal remington 700. So my smith is having to modify the stock to make it fit. Aldo I had to order a 110.00 action wrench for him. My reamer has only cut 1 chamber (mine), so it is almost new. Helps cut a good smooth chamber. He is a very good friend of mine, so he works for me for parts and tools. This the third rifle since April he has built for me. The first put 50 shots into a group I can cover with just over the size of a quarter. It is in 308. He just finished a rem 700 in 300 AAC Blackout.

Call Mcmillan and tell them you are using a stiller. I want to build the same but using a Timney trigger. Also I'd do 28/30 inches.

Ya I seen on McMillans site they fit for the Stiller action, was going to go with a Surgeon action at first but seen that Stiller is about 10 minutes from my house and they give a Law Enforcement discout so switched to them. Do you really think that 28" will be that much better then 26"? Want it to be light enough to pack around in Africa and New Zeland. I was guessing maybe a 100-150 fps loss.

Last edited:
Ya I seen on McMillans site they fit for the Stiller action, was going to go with a Surgeon action at first but seen that Stiller is about 10 minutes from my house and they give a Law Enforcement discout so switched to them. Do you really think that 28" will be that much better then 26"? Want it to be light enough to pack around in Africa and New Zeland. I was guessing maybe a 100-150 fps loss.

You will probably only loose more like 50-75fps for those 2" of barrel.

Meh depends on a lot of things. In a 1/10 You can get away with 26 that's what I have but I have a muzzle break so it adds almost 2 inches. I'd say going from 26" to 30 nets you about 200-250 fps just based on a WAG from what other guys using similar loads to me get on snipershide. A couple guys are getting 3200+ FPS from 80GR of h1000 out of a 30 inch tube. Also the guys with longer tubes seem to have better luck bucking the wind at longer ranges and more stable flight in the transonic velocities. Of course with VLD's we are talking about ranges of 1500-1700 yards. If this is an Africa gun where I doubt youd take a shot past 300 yards 26 or even 24 would be fine. I think at the point having a gun that's easy to manuaver and fire is more important.

I honestly cant see the justification of the 100% markup of a surgeon over a stiller for a hunting rifle. Hell there a guy winning 100 yard bench rest on a factory savage action over on 6mmbr.com. I have talked to the stiller guys and they are great to deal with for sure.

If this is a hunting gun and you don't plan to shoot to say 1200 yards or more go with 26" I just dont know how well a shorter tube will stabilize the VLD's. You need to post pics when your done I wont be able to afford it for a while looks like. Plus my win mag can easily reach and kill at 1200 yards and that really at the upper limit of my current ability.

Yes first post on this forum woohoo.

I Live in NZ, maybe not for much longer though. (EU here I come)

In my opinion, if your going to buy factory ammunition, build a straight 338 lapua, but if your going to all this effort, Id definitely go for an improved case.

Im doing the same, but will most likely build on a 700 action.

The calibers I'm considering are 338 Thor (338-416 improved) 338 LM AI, 7mm-338 LM improved, or any similar case, maybe the 7mm norma improved.

The gunsmith I want to build this for me, says that similar rifles are weighing around 10lb's scoped with a nightforce. I will run Schmidt or IOR, but still will only be 6 oz more than that. Add 2lbs for an aftermarket action.

I carry 12.5 lb's round the hills in NZ now, and its fine. The heaviest I'd want would be 14lbs, but it definitely weighs you down when your in a stalk. It happens more often than youd think, even when hunting chamois and tahr.

The bigger the caliber in a certain case size, the less velocity you loose per barrel length. So the 338's are very efficient, even in 26 inch or less.

With the 338 thor, the 300 smk's are said to be driven at 3050 in a 28 inch bbl. That is 200 fps less than the cheytac version - yes, its efficient. Im thinking going to 26 inch, but up a contour. 3000 fps with 300 smk.

Hope this helps you take even longer to make your decision hahaha!

Chris

Lol ya that helps, can't believe you would be leaving New Zealand, but guess it is always greener on the other side of the fence. I was in New Zealand a few years ago on a Stag hunt and fell in love with the place. Anyway I talked with Russ at Stiller yesterday and ordered the Tac338 action. Super nice guy.. Will be ordering the barrel tomorrow so will have to decide 26" or 28" by then. I have been talking with Eric at Nawakwa Accuracy and will be having him put it together after I get all the parts. I will be sticking with a 338 Lapua Mag since my dad has one he had Christensen Arms build and already has the reloader setup for it. Thanks for all the input everyone has given.
Terry

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.