338 Lapua barrel for Surgeon 1581/XL

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by bhol, Oct 5, 2012.

1. bhol

bhol Active Member

I have a Surgeon action on order in 1581/XL for a 338 Lapua build. What would you guys recommend on barrel contour and length. I was thinking a 26" 1 in 10 twist. But I was wondering if a longer barrel would be a better choice, 28" or so. Any suggestions or information would be helpful as I'm pretty new to this long range stuff.

Thanks

2. mt_archer

mt_archer Well-Known Member

26" will be adequate, but if this is a heavy build for long range, a couple extra inches will help. 10 is great all around twist, but the 9 & 9.3 twist might be better to run 300 grain bullets and the new longer bullets. My last build with 1:10 (kreiger #17, 28") in lapua ai just doesn't like 300 gr, but is awesome with 250's, so next one will be 1:9. Unless you go carbon wrap, you probably want at least #7, and heavier is better, especially for longer length. You can save some weight with fluting, but not much. I'd suggest you figure out goal weight and work backward. Also plan ahead on what bullet you want to shoot. That may influence your choice of stock and bottom metal, too.

3. Edd

Edd Well-Known Member

For that action, you will have to get a custom contour. If you get a target taper it will be really heavy. I'd consider a Palma style contour with custom dimensions. Look at a Bartlein #12 contour with the A and D dimensions increased by .100". Then you can cut it to whatever length you want.

4. C.O. Shooter

C.O. Shooter Well-Known Member

5. Edd

Edd Well-Known Member

6. C.O. Shooter

C.O. Shooter Well-Known Member

O my bad!

7. azsugarbear

azsugarbear Well-Known Member

I have always liked the 28" length for the 338 Lapua for all-around balance and feel. The best "overall" compromise, IMHO. I'm currently putting together components for a 338 Lapua AI and decided to go another couple of inches (30") due to the increase in case capacity. In either case, the contour was/will be a heavy Palma. Not exactly carry guns. So, there's my two cents.

8. Autorotate

Autorotate Well-Known Member

Bhol

I'd look at:

Size of safe, scabbard, and/or case you're going to use with the rifle.

If you plan on shooting 300 gr bullets, you can see 20-30 fps gained for every inch of barrel length. So this might allow you to settle in on a brass life friendly load, with great precision potential, at a higher velocity node, and more flexibility on powder choices to achieve xxxx velocity with precision, then you might realize with a shorter length barrel.

For me, anything much longer than a Factory Accumark, Sendero...isn't realistic for a carry/backpack rifle. Anything longer than will fit in a Trailmax Scabbard isn't realistic for a horse hunt. If you're an ATV/truck hunter, or more of a deliberate "hide site/observation post" type hunter out of a stand, etc...then a longer rifle wouldn't be much of a hinderance imo.

Be sure to post up a build thread once you get your rifle! gun)