338 Lapua barrel, 10 or 9.35 twist

montana_native

I am going to order a barrel soon and my gunsmith told me to investigate the 9.35 twist barrels to see if they offer any advantages over a 10 twist. He says he's used numerous 10 twist Lilja's with great results and only recently used any of the 9.35 stuff and doesn't have much data for them.

Any advantage to the tighter twist with 300 gr Bergers?

Thanks.

I don't have any concrete evidence but if it was me I'd go with the 9.35 twist over the 10 just for the added spin that might be required for a longer bullet.
The 300 Berger is longer than the 300 Sierra which many people have used with great results with a 10 twist, I have a 9.4 twist on my Lapua and it shoots the Berger quite well.
In my mind it would give me added confidence that the bullet will stabilize better way out there.
JMHO,
Wayne aka WAMBO

I ran into the same thing, I'm ordering two 338 barrels and for a 338 Norma the recommendation was a 9.3 and the 338 RUM it was 1-10. I didn't ask why I just tell the barrel guys what I'm doing and let them do their magic.
I suspect that it may have to do more with extreme long range accuracy, well beyond normal LRH even.

My barrel maker told me he recommended the faster twist to help stabilize the bullet when going subsonic. I don't have a clue if it helps (never shot on paper that far). Just passing along the info.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.