338 Lapua Ackley Improved

T Tom

Hello,

I would like to control my 338 LM AI chamber.
I'm looking for a No-Go headspace gauge.
Does someone know where I can buy one ?

IF you are after a no go guage, you need to go to the reamer maker and give him the reamer print # and he can send you one.

If you are after a "bumb guage" to measure headspace, the gunsmith that did the chambering can use the chamger reamer to make one or buy the hornay guages to mesure headspace.

Not sure what you are trying to do but you can buy a go Gage from Manson or PT&G
and apply shims to find out exactly how much head space your rifle has.

The same procedure can be used periodically to monitor the chamber. If you buy a NO GO Gage
It will only tell you when it is time to re barrel or re chamber (It is a dumb Gage ,as Bountyhunter said.
also you will have to buy a go Gage to find where you are>(The Go Gage and the No Go Gage are used
together). Most smiths use the go Gage only (About $30.00 and shim to find out exactly how much head
space they are working with).

Most No Go gage's are .007 to .009 thousandths longer than SAAME spec. and warn of trouble.

Once you set the head space you should not experience bolt set back unless you are loading above
maximum pressure. (IT should not change much except for normal wear).

J E CUSTOM

J E, Actually the NO GO gauges are .004" over the GO guage dimension in most chambers. There is a field service gauge that is .008" over GO gauge dimension that the military uses for measurement of warning headspace problems.

J E, Actually the NO GO gauges are .004" over the GO guage dimension in most chambers. There is a field service gauge that is .008" over GO gauge dimension that the military uses for measurement of warning head space problems.

You are correct !!!

I never buy a No Go gauge for that reason. it only tells you that you are beyond SAAME spec.
and the chamber should not be used.

In My opinion head space should be .0005 to .0015 for accuracy and a go gauge is the only
gauge that will tell you exactly where your chamber is at.

That just my logic for using the go gauge only.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.