.338 Lapau AI

Fantastic cartridge. Lapua brass is the best. If you are a hand loader, then I think the best option for a conventional size rife.

Steve

I've been thinking about one, as well.

I've noticed there are several out there. Is any of these better, or more "standard" than the others? .338 Yogi, .338 Allen Xpress, .338 Lapua AI...

I have a 338 LAI and the only way I would trade it is to move up. Having said that, the LAI needs fireformed and dies are somewhat limited. I ordered a full set of Neil Jones dies and had to wait 3 months to get them. They sit on the shelf now collecting dust. I did not like the quality or the repeatability of them. I have my own reamer so I ordered new sleeves from Redding and machined my own. After using Redding dies, nothing else compares.

It is a lot more work shooting an LAI but I feel it is worth it. APS has fully formed brass and dies I think. This would make the transition much more enjoyable if a person wanted to step up a notch or two from the standard 338 Lapua.

150-200 fps in most cases. Extends range 200-300 yards further than a standard 338 Lapua before going sub-sonic.

My rifle shoots the 300gn SMK's at 2960fps and the Bergers at 2980fps with a 30" barrel.

After using Redding dies, nothing else compares.

What!!!!!!!!!????????????.... Redding is what I use... :D:D

That is quite an endorsement coming from a machinist that works in the tollerances that you do for the medical industry. Not to mention the most anal guy I know...:D

Guys, this is coming from a guy that called me once while I was elk hunting. He had just shot a 3" group at 1000 yards and was wanting advice on how to tighten it up a bit...:cool:

Jeff

I've been thinking about one, as well.

I've noticed there are several out there. Is any of these better, or more "standard" than the others? .338 Yogi, .338 Allen Xpress, .338 Lapua AI...

I chamber the Yogi version. I'm not a big fan of 40 degree shoulders on large straight cases. Makes sizing dies problematic. You reach a point of diminishing returns velocity wise. About all you can expect out of an improved Lapua is about 3000 FPS max regardless of barrel length or shoulder angle.
I will add one thing. The older I get the more I learn I can do more with less. Also I'm alot lazier than I used to be so fireforming brass seems more like a waste of time and money.

What!!!!!!!!!????????????.... Redding is what I use... :D:D

That is quite an endorsement coming from a machinist that works in the tollerances that you do for the medical industry. Not to mention the most anal guy I know...:D

Guys, this is coming from a guy that called me once while I was elk hunting. He had just shot a 3" group at 1000 yards and was wanting advice on how to tighten it up a bit...:cool:

Jeff

Learned from the best my friend!gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.