338 kt

sully

howdy, from Idaho, looking for any info on a cartridge, 338 KT picked up a rifle for a song. fellow said it was a 338 KT its a custom rig. can anyone shed some light on this?

The 338 KT is based off of a shortend 378 Weatherby case. It has about the same powder capacity as the 338 Laupa

hey, thanks for the info. Do you think its a good cartridge or should i re- chamber this rifle? it has a rem 700 action and a custom stock and trigger, so the gun its self is a keeper.

It is a ballistic twin the the 338 Lapua and the 338 Edge, nothing wrong with it at all. You will simply have to make your cases is the only negative that I see

The 338 KT is otherwise known as the 338 Keith -Thompson, co-designed by none other than Elmer Keith himself. It was designed around 4831 speed powder. There is an excellent write up on it by Ross Seyfried in Guns & Ammo in one of the issues in 1985 I believe. It is indeed the 378 Weatherby shortened by .25" and necked down to 338 caliber. An awesome long range cartridge truly ahead of its time and basically duplicates 338 Ultramag performance, a 250 gr bullet at around 3000 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.