338 Imperial loads???

WSlayman

I just picked up a Win M70 with a 27.5" Kreiger barrel in 338 Imperial, 30 pieces of RWS 404J brass and dies. I'm looking for some tips with loads so i don't waste time an money. I'll be shootin 250 Nosler Accubonds. I've found some data for the 338 Edge but acording my measurements it holds about 5 grains more. Someone here has to of loaded for the Imperial. Thanks

Well, i loaded up some test rounds today for next saturday. 91 and 92gr of H1000 and 91 and 92gr of RL25. All loaded to .035 off the rifleing at 3.740. I'll let you know how they shoot! Thanks

Dave, thanks. I'll work my way up an see how they shoot.:) Your 338 Edge holds about 5 grains more than my Imperial so i'll see what it'll do.

Can't find any info on the Imperial but if it's a 404 necked down your about right
with 91grs of H 1000. but if it has been blown out and the sholder moved forward
then you can probably go up to about 94 to 96grs but go slow .

If you know someone with a 338 RUM try to compair the two.

The rum will hold 101grs of H 1000 dumped and 103 to 104grs with drop tube .

Your at a good starting point, watch for pressure and work up slowly.

J E CUSTOM

WS, i'm jealous of you being able to use the RWS brass. is it rebated like the ultra mag? i'm not familiar with the imperial/jeffries cartridge but have heard you can make ultra mag brass from the jeffries. how similar are they?

Dave the RWS brass is not rebated.
338 Imperial case measures:
2.820 long
2.340 body length
.540 at the base
.530 at the shoulder

The 300 RUM case is:
2.40 body length
.550 at the base
.528 at the shoulder

I necked a 300 rum case up to .338 and it held 113.5 grains of water.
A .338 Imperial case holds 108 grains of water.

I've got 30 peices of RWS and 60 of Norma to make cases with. Sure would like to find some affordable RWS;)

thanks for the info. i did a little snoopin and found the 404 jeffery case can be made into the edge. that will be a winter project this year. also found a guy that has an imperial but i can't remember his handle. i'll look again and let you know.

the fellow's handle is Phorwath on here. sent him an e-mail about the post.

Last edited:
Dave, thank you! Hopefully i get as lucky with this one as i did with my 360 Imperial. The old factory reloading data i found worked great with it.

Well, shot all four loads friday and it didn't go as planed. All four loads are mild. No pressure at all. Speeds were 2830 to 2880. RL25 was a pattern, not a group:rolleyes: H1000 shot ok @ .750 I'll work up some more loads with more H1000 and try again this friday.

Dave, Thanks for the help!!:)

WS, hope you got my e-mail, he has a lot of info to tap into.

you mentioned earlier that you wish you could find some RWS brass. sense this post started, i got interested in it myself, by shear luck, i found 100 pieces, mortgaged the house, and bought them. i only want 40 and want to sell the other 60. you said affordable, not sure if $4 a piece is but i have 60 for sale.

Dave, thank you so much for the help. I got an e-mail from paul just minutes ago with lots of data for my .338 Imperial. As for the RWS brass i want it but i need to ask the boss if it's in the budget. Two new rifles and a scope in the last six weeks has her a little stressed...;) But i'll see what i can do. I'd like to see what the difference in velocity would be in my .360 Imperial with the RWS brass vs the Norma i'm useing nowlight bulb

2 rifles and a scope in 6 weeks. that's better than i do in 2 years! i get a whole bunch more stuff if i just go ahead, buy it and put up with the pain rather than asking first. of course there are down sides to this technique...

Well, 7828ssc didn't work with either the 225 or the 250 Accubonds. I try some more H1000 this friday and see how it shoots. However, the 360 Imperial shoots well with a 250 Nosler Partion over 92gr of IMR 4831. And speed was great at 3150fps. I Love it when their easy like this one was.:D This .338 is begining a pain.:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts