.338 Hornady Interbod 225gr/338 Lapua

Tightline2001

I just picted up a box of the 225 gr hornady interbonds and was just wondering if anybody has messed around with loads using the 225 interbond and if it performed well.

I was going back and forth on the Barnes TTPSX 225 gain and the Hornady Interbond 225 grainer and decided to go with the hornady.

I origionally was going with the 300smk but i was worried about getting the velocities i wanted.

Then I saw the Barnes TTSX 265 grainer and that got my attention but it doesnt say what the bc is with this bullet. Would uyou get an advantage shooting the 265grainer over the 225 grainer?

This is the rifle that i will be shooting them in.
Sergen Action (repeater)
26'' Krieger with the 1-10 twist
A5 bedded stuck
jewek trigger

Does anyone have any helpful advice or thoughts?

I would greatly appreciate it

338Lapua.jpg

Looks like you are searching for a premium hunting bullet. That Hornady 225 interbond has a BC of .515. I am certain that bonded bullet will have satifactory terminal performance. If it doesn't shoot you might consider using the 225 or the 250 Nosler Accubond. The BCs are higher at .550 and .570 respectively.

What about using the new 300 gr Berger hybrid?

Are the bergers finnaly available yet? I really wanted get 2800 fps and up. I doubt i will have any shots over 1200-1500 yds. i guess when it boils down to it im gonna use whatever the gun likes the best but I was just curious if anyone has shot the interbonds and if they have how did they perform on the animal.

im interested to see when hornady lets the loose the 250s and 285s BTHP bullets. The 250s have a BC of .670 and the 285s are not listed yet of what theirs is. Ive always had good performance on the smk's on game so im curious to see how the hornady match bullets perform as well

If we are waiting for a high BC 250 gr bullet, don't forget the upcoming Berger VLD. Their 250 has a projected BC of .762. Of course that might need some tweaking by Brian when it gets tested.

man i didnt know berger was coming up with a 250 gr in the 338! i wonder how long that will be? there was talk for the 300gr forever it seemed like before people started getting their hands on them

im interested to see when hornady lets the loose the 250s and 285s BTHP bullets. The 250s have a BC of .670 and the 285s are not listed yet of what theirs is. Ive always had good performance on the smk's on game so im curious to see how the hornady match bullets perform as well
The Hornady 250gn BTHP match performs very well on game. It is soft and explosive so stick to chest shots.

When the 300 hybrid came out there was no mention of the 250 VLD. I called Berger a few weeks ago. They said they were working on it. I didn't get an exact date for availability.

I think it could be a better choice for big game. It would be going faster which could cause more devastation at long range. With the BC being so high it wouldn't loose much to the 300 hybrid for game killing distances. It also might fit some of the shorter magazines a bit better. I know so little about this bullet, all is conjecture on my part.

We will just have to wait.

yea i would love to get my hands on some berger 250s with a BC that high. im sure it will be quite some time though.

Topshot - where did you purchasethse 250 HPBT bullets or did you by the factory ammo from Hornady?

yea i would love to get my hands on some berger 250s with a BC that high. im sure it will be quite some time though.

Topshot - where did you purchasethse 250 HPBT bullets or did you by the factory ammo from Hornady?
The 250 grain Hornady BTHP match bullet has been available for years. I live down in Australia and have no trouble getting them.

They have changed the design of the bullet slightly in recent times. I have both the old design and the new design. The new design comes in a glossy box with a picture of a bullet on the front. The old desigh is in a matt red box with just Hornady printed on it.

The old design had more of a secant Ogive and smaller Meplat than the new design. The new design seems to have the meplat uniformed. They seem to change a bit from batch to batch.

The new design has a published G1 B.C. of 0.67. I tested the old design at a starting M.V. of 2650 and it tracked perfectly with a G1 B.C. of 0.63 out to 1000 yards and agrees very well with Bryan Litz G7 B.C. that is published in his book.
Out past 1500 yards at a starting velocity of over 3000 fps I found it actually shoots somewhere in between the Hornady G1 B.C. of 0.67 and Litz G7 B.C. of 0.323 in my rifle. I didn't bother to work it out exactly as I don't hunt at that distance but noted it in my log for future referance.

I think when shooting at that distance you would want to batch your projectiles so that they are all from the the same production run.

Do the numbers on this bullet. It is quite impressive.

yea your right i think i am going to get a box and see how they do in my gun. i really want to find a high BC bullet in the 225 - 250 range that shoots great and has devistating results on the game. I dont eat the shoulders on the animal so I am not worried about the bullet retaining most of its weight. Some of the feilds where we hunt in are extremely long and it can be a task sometimes finding your deer if it runs a little ways

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.