338 fed, in an ar for stalking large game

vendetta333

hey guys, i've been reading about the new 338 federal cartridge. some people are less than impressed wit its lack luster ballistics. however, i feel that most are forgetting the biggest advantage of a round being based on the 308 case. the sue in ar-10 style rifles. i think DPMS has a great setup with their LR338L rifle in 338 Fed. it is light, holds more rounds than a bolt gun, and is semi auto, if you were to come across an unfriendly bear. at close range may be a bit much for white tail, but for muelies, black tail, or elk, sounds like a ringer. plus with the higher bc 338 bullets, the bullet should retain a great deal of its energy. i see this round as almost a 6.5 grendel on steroids.
thoughts?

hey guys, i've been reading about the new 338 federal cartridge. some people are less than impressed wit its lack luster ballistics. however, i feel that most are forgetting the biggest advantage of a round being based on the 308 case. the sue in ar-10 style rifles. i think DPMS has a great setup with their LR338L rifle in 338 Fed. it is light, holds more rounds than a bolt gun, and is semi auto, if you were to come across an unfriendly bear. at close range may be a bit much for white tail, but for muelies, black tail, or elk, sounds like a ringer. plus with the higher bc 338 bullets, the bullet should retain a great deal of its energy. i see this round as almost a 6.5 grendel on steroids.
thoughts?

It would be one of the more powerful cartriges in the AR 10 platform for sure.

It is not as powerful as some of the short mags that can be fired in the AR 10s but
it would be a strait forward cartrige that would best the 308 by 400 to 500 ft/lbs of
energy.(And that's a lot).

Mag capacity is good and with a good break it shouldn't be to bad in the recoil department.

J E CUSTOM

When you get right down to it, there is nothing wimpy about a 338 Federal. Out to 300 Yards it is a hammer. I will say this, IMR8208xbr powder is your VERY good friend in 338 federal. Truly a potent combination.

Gary

I have a Sako Grey Wolf (bolt rifle) in .338 Fed. The recoil is quite tame. I doubt that an AR would need a muzzle brake.

The AR style rifle is not the best design for minimizing recoil.

I recently bought a 450 Bushmaster upper for my AR and had to fit it with a break
to tame it down.

None of my big bores have breaks (416s and 45 cal) and they react differently and are not
abusive.

Most ARs are light and the muzzle jump is noticeable in the larger calibers along with fast
recoil velocity.(Felt Recoil).And some rifles just need a muzzle break to help with control
for follow up shots, not recoil.

I am not a big fan of muzzle breaks but some rifles need them.

The 338 federal may be ok>

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.