338 Excalibur 300 grn Bergers vrs. 300 grn Rocky Moutain Bullets

• Thread starter Deleted member 8840
  • Start date
I was just out last evening shooting with a new phone I picked up. I loaded a program called Shooter. I sighted in at 300 yards and walk it out to 600, 900, 1200, 1500. The 1500 shot was 6 inch to the left and dead on elavation. With 300 grain Bergers I was shooting 9.3 mills at 1500. I was at 3100 fps. It was also blowing real bad right to left, so my windage was of a little, but all the elavations were good. Next time out I'l be going out to 1800, 2100, 2400, and maybe 2700.

Went back out over the weekend and shot 2000 and 2500 with the Berger 300s. Drop table showed 15.1 mils and had to adjust to 15.5 at 2000 and shot a little over moa(2 shots 10 inches apart). At 2500 I had one shot hit 1 inch left of a 6 inch bull, then it got ugly. Drop table showed 23.0 and I adjusted to 23.7 mils to hit next to bull. Went back to shoot a group and they were all over( 48 inch group or so). Got home and found my scope was loose. When shooting the big calibers the scope must be screwed down real tight, I will use a little locktite next time. Over all I was surpised at how close the BC really is. I've never had a drop table stay that acturate at long of a shot. Bryan Litz is doing real well with the G7 BC's. Also, I had just enough elevation in my scope to shoot 2500. I have just a 20 moa base, but I'll have to get a little higher moa base to get out farther, or start using the reticle in my Vortex Razor. I'll be shooting the 300 grain Rocky Moutain also. I think the RMB will shoot more acturate than the Berger way out there, but will not shoot as flat as the Bergers.

Vanders would you like to do a little work on the math figuring moa for 10 inches at 2000 yds? You probably should before the firestorm starts.

Vanders would you like to do a little work on the math figuring moa for 10 inches at 2000 yds? You probably should before the firestorm starts.
The third shot made it a 30 inch or so group and it was only a 3 shot group. I have shot under moa at 2000 and 2500 with a 338/378 Ackley, they were 5 shot groups, so I'm not real happy shooting over moa with a 3 shot group.

Vanders

What LRF are you using? Given ideal conditions, how many rounds does it take you from a cold bore to get on "target" at these 2K+ ranges?

Vanders

What LRF are you using? Given ideal conditions, how many rounds does it take you from a cold bore to get on "target" at these 2K+ ranges?
With my drop table verified, I'm on a 40 inch target the first shot with my 338 Excalibur. My cold bore shot isn't much different than a warm barrel, just a few inches as long as the first shot isn't a clean barrel.

Nitroman:

From my reading of the linked news item (from early March 2012) and the subsequent news item (from mid March 2012 - here), the matter was still open with the newest owner proposing a new venture and asking concessions. I searched that site for more info but found none.

Of interest to the LRH community is this from the mid-March blurb, "The town had an independent appraisal performed on the pledged equipment. It was valued at around $70,000, not including inventory, which would be worth another several thousand dollars." That statement relates specifically to the A-Square facility in Glenrock, WY (a facility constructed with local community development funds and leased to A-Square). Those that might be interested in what "inventory" might still be available could try the then-current owner, Kevin Tierney here. [His company is a workout company - one that tries to turn around problem companies.] Since that site is semi-"under construction", I note that there is no e-mail contact, only an address in CT and this ph #, (203) 453-7559. I called that number, found out it was definitely wrong, tried another I found (203-453-7564) and found a call blocker that *82 did not work on, and stopped.

As posted earlier, I've already removed A-Square from my site.

With my drop table verified, I'm on a 40 inch target the first shot with my 338 Excalibur. My cold bore shot isn't much different than a warm barrel, just a few inches as long as the first shot isn't a clean barrel.
Thought I'd sent a pic of a target. The shots are 4 shots,one after another, and yardage shown.

Attachments

• scan0001.pdf
    441.9 KB · Views: 27
I was out shooting my 338 Lapua Mag yesterday.
I wanted to see how it performed at 2004 meters (2191 yards)

I have a Rem 700 MLR Police, with a new LW barrel, IOR 12-52x56 Terminator and 300 grs OTM fired at 861 m/sek (2825 fps)

First shot hit 2 moa low of senter of target.
Next shot hit 11 o'clock outside the black circle.

Made some corrections, and fired a 5 shot group. It measured 102cm center-center, that's about 1.7 MOA.
It was a bit windy but not to much.

I use Applied Ballistics App on my Android phone, and it wanted me to adjust 3 MOA left for spin. Ended up at 1 moa left. Had very little vertical spread, and was pleased with the result.
Shot another 4 shots, but the wind picked up and the blew off the target.

My barreel is 1:10 twist and 32" long.
I like my gun :)

20121006_155000.jpg

20121006_155024.jpg

20121006_155127.jpg

20121006_155135.jpg

I use Applied Ballistics App on my Android phone, and it wanted me to adjust 3 MOA left for spin. Ended up at 1 moa left.

Good shooting. I would suggest you have a look at the entered data on your bullet. 3 MOA for spin I feel is too much. The AB program for my 338 LM suggests 1.9 moa for SD at the 2191 yards. But not sure of your altitude. As you know at 2K even the slightest wind change will take us off more that a few MOA. Or there is always that undetected wind up on the Ark that we never knew anything about.

Jeff

I was shooting at 393 ft above sea level.

Distance was 2004 meters
Temp 11 celcius
Look angle -8 degrees
Shooting direction was 14 degrees

Up 91.8 MOA
Left 2.8 MOA

I dialed 92 UP and 3 Left.
Should have been 91 MOA up and 0 MOA sideways under those conditions.

Here is a small clip of me shooting 2043 meter, the opposite way.
Yesterday I was lying underneath the rock I am shooting at in this movie

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxeOrTCmcHE&feature=g-upl]338LM @ 2043 meter - YouTube[/ame]

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.