338 Excalibur 300 grn Bergers vrs. 300 grn Rocky Moutain Bullets

• Thread starter Deleted member 8840
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8840

I've finished a 338 Excalibur project and it is shooting very well. The 300 grain Rocky Mountain bullets shot just under 3 inches at 1000 yards(three shot). I've shot the 300 Bergers with the same load as the RMB and the Beger was 30 inch higher but not quite as good of grouping. I didn't change the sight in, just went out to 1000 and shot. Not sure if the Bergers had more fps or if it was all BC. This is a Savage 338 Lapua action with a new Savage barrel installed. With 120 grains of 50BMG and a 26 inch barrel I'm getting 3075 fps. I my be able to push it a little more, but with this grouping I think not. I'm using the Vortex Razor and I'll be walking out to 2500 plus yards. This would be a good caliber for all, but the brass is very hard to find.

I've finished a 338 Excalibur project and it is shooting very well. The 300 grain Rocky Mountain bullets shot just under 3 inches at 1000 yards(three shot). I've shot the 300 Bergers with the same load as the RMB and the Beger was 30 inch higher but not quite as good of grouping. I didn't change the sight in, just went out to 1000 and shot. Not sure if the Bergers had more fps or if it was all BC. This is a Savage 338 Lapua action with a new Savage barrel installed. With 120 grains of 50BMG and a 26 inch barrel I'm getting 3075 fps. I my be able to push it a little more, but with this grouping I think not. I'm using the Vortex Razor and I'll be walking out to 2500 plus yards. This would be a good caliber for all, but the brass is very hard to find.

Very nice how about some pictures of the build and cases

I'll assume you mean brass is hard to find at a reasonable price. Though possibly $40.25 for 10 (ten) pieces, unprimed brass, might not be "high" - see Cartridge Case Prices

I'm not sure if A-Square is still in business. I pick up 100 rounds of brass from Graf and Sons, that they got from Jamison. They are out of it now, but they show Quality Cartridge cases for 93.59 for 20 cases, but they are out of stock. If any one has cases, I'd like to know. When shooting these big rounds you just have to pay the price to play the game.

338 Excalibur and 338 Case next to 338 Lapua.

Attachments

• IMG_0569.jpg
    IMG_0569.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0582.jpg
    IMG_0582.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 45
I'm not sure if A-Square is still in business. I pick up 100 rounds of brass from Graf and Sons, that they got from Jamison. They are out of it now, but they show Quality Cartridge cases for 93.59 for 20 cases, but they are out of stock. If any one has cases, I'd like to know. When shooting these big rounds you just have to pay the price to play the game.

A-Square lists two location (one in SD and one in WY) here - A-Square

Pardon me for asking the obvious, have you tried to reach them at those locations?

Tried both of the A-Square numbers and got a recording on each one. I'm doing good with my 100 count of brass. I was just letting any one interested in building a 338 Excalibur, that brass isn't a easy find. A 338 Sniptac has more case capacity than the Excalibur and cases are easier to find. You would have to build it on a custom action. I would build one(338 Snipetac) if the money was there, I'll settle for the Excalibur. The 200 fps you gain with the Snipetac will cost 2000.00 dollars or so. I was part of a 338-378 Weatherby Ackley build, and I shot it out to 2500 yards and kept it under MOA 5 shot groups. This is a bigger case and I have a 1 in 9 twist on the Excalibur, were I had a 1 in 10 twist on the 338-378. I hope to get out to 2750 yards with the Excalibur.

Just asking here but why did you go with a 1-9tw when a 1-10tw seems to be fast enough for everything out there in .338cal ????

All of the savage 338 barrels have a 1 in 9 twist. Several barrel makers do a 1 in 9.3 twist. I've not shot the other barrels, but I feel this is helping quite a bit, more so for shooting way out there and alot of help with the 300 grainers.

Just asking here but why did you go with a 1-9tw when a 1-10tw seems to be fast enough for everything out there in .338cal ????

Probably have read this before, but Litz says the 1-10 will keep the Berger 300g Hybrid OTM stable out to 1 mile at standard conditions at sea level, so a 1-9 or 1-9.3 might be a better choice for more reach. Not sure on the RMBs.

The reason I ask is because I'm assuming you're trying to shoot the "heavies" as fast or faster than something with a smaller sized case so why give up any FPS loss a 1-9 would yield when a 1-10tw will shoot to those distances and beyond with no loss of accuracy and mostly likely faster.

I've shot the 300 Bergers with the same load as the RMB and the Beger was 30 inch higher but not quite as good of grouping. I didn't change the sight in, just went out to 1000 and shot. Not sure if the Bergers had more fps or if it was all BC..

This is huge!! Did they shoot the same zero? 3 moa at 1000 is a lot to credit to BC. As for accuracy I would like to see if this holds true after several groups. At 1000 yards comparing groups should be with many of both especially if they are close. A little wind could be the difference.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.